Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting a GTX1070 Graphics Card to a VGA Monitor

nVidia GTX1070 VGA monitor graphics card Displayport DVI HDMI

• Please log in to reply

camsie

camsie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I need to connect a Gigabyte G1 GTX1070 (8GB) graphics card to a Samsung SyncMaster 940N monitor. It's just a single-monitor setup.

The only output sockets on the graphics card are DVI-D, Displayport 1.4 (as far as I know, they aren't DP++ ports) and HDMI. The only input socket on the monitor is a VGA (HD-15) socket.

Obviously, I will need some sort of adapter to be able to connect the monitor to one of the graphics card's outputs. My research suggests that while it is possible to go DVI-D to VGA, this is an expensive option that I won't be able to accomplish for less then $50. Confusingly, there do seem to be numerous cheap DVI-D to VGA adapters on the market that actually fit in the respective sockets, but won't actually convey a picture from a DVI-D output to a VGA input. I've skimmed over dozens of such adapters online and amongst the ones that have customer reviews, all of them have overall terrible reviews and scores of testimonies from irate customers agreeing that such adapters simply don't work.

Before you comment, Please Note: DVI-D is a completely different (though similar-looking) socket to DVI-I. Yes, DVI-I can be easily adapted to connect with a VGA monitor. In fact, that's how my currant graphics card is working right now. But DVI-D is very different. Please don't try to convince me that just because you've gotten your DVI-I output to connect to a VGA monitor with a $2 adapter that I will be able to do the same with a DVI-D socket, unless you really know about how these sockets work and the key differences between them. All my research suggests that no simple, cheap adapter can possibly make a working connection between a DVI-D output and a VGA input.

My research into going Displayport-to-VGA has become confusing as there are apparently two different kinds of adapters for these connections - "active" and "passive". I've gotten conflicting stories about which type I actually need and in any event, most of the Displayport-to-VGA adapters I have seen for sale don't state exactly which type they are and in many cases the merchants selling them don't even seem to know which type they are!

There are HDMI-to-VGA cables on the market at very cheap prices, but after the complexities I've struck thus far regarding the other 2 plug types, I'm reluctant to just assume that one of these will actually do the job without some confirmation from somebody more knowledgeable about these things.

So my question is, which of these three output types (DVI-D, Displayport or HDMI) is my best (i.e. cheapest reliable) avenue for connection to my VGA monitor, and, if you suggest a Displayport, can you please tell me whether I'll need a "passive" or "active" adapter for this and how I might be able to tell them apart when their type isn't clearly advertized?

Edited by camsie, 05 December 2016 - 02:57 AM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

as you've learned all the connections on that card output a digital signal and the signal needed for vga is an analogue signal so that means you will need an active adaptor, the difference between a passive and active adaptor is passive just makes simple wire to wire connections eg. the $2 dvi to vga adaptor you mentioned which only works on dvi connections that output an analogue signal like dvi-a or dvi-i by default, whereas an active adaptor electronically converts the signal from one one type to another, in your case digital to analogue.

what's the cheapest or best solution? i've no idea but picture quality wise i doubt you'd notice any difference on the vga monitor using any type.

here's an example of each.

dp to vga :- https://www.amazon.c...QPC88S0PT559F56

dvi-d to vga :- https://www.amazon.c...ds=dvi d to vga

hdmi to vga :- https://www.amazon.c...rds=hdmi to vga

hope that helps you.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 05 December 2016 - 06:24 PM.