Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network issue.

• Please log in to reply

Bill_A

Bill_A

• Pip
  • 4 posts

My home network works pretty well here mainly windows 7 pro and home machines, I created a homegroup and have no issues between the 4 computers here at home sharing files docs etc, I recently added a little dell inspiron micro 3050 to the house for a master bedroom tv to run plex media server on, this is where I have run into a small snag.

On the new dell it runs windows 10, I am connected private vs public (I don't even see a way to change that to what I know as "home" vs public) maybe a windows 10 change?  When I go to homegroup in control panel it sees my other computer's created homegroup and asks me to join, i enter the password and about half way thru the process I get a pop up that says "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network".

Photo Dec 05, 10 00 20 AM.jpg

At first I tried the homegroup troubleshooter that did no good, then I rebooted, i disabled my antivirus, I reset my router and modem and tried again, same results as above.

Any ideas much appreciated, this is the only windows 10 machine I have owned so far and it's a bit different so I am learning my way around but I am not sure what else to try or do at this point, I have got my plex server going and I can access it via the browser fine so I guess this computer is doing what I want from it, but I would like to have it join my homegroup so I can just zap a file to and from others in the house as needed and share the printer etc.

Advertisements

Bill_A

Bill_A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I did name this particular pc as Dell_3050 which is the model number, I have followed the steps via that link, it does see the homegroup and asks if i want to join, then asks for password, it's only after I enter it (confirmed password btw), that i get that popup about it no longer detecting a homegroup.

I wonder if it has anything to do with this pc being on wifi vs ethernet cord connected?  Never had this happen before though but being new to windows 10 wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it.

Bill_A

Bill_A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for the suggestion, i did a ping from the homegroup computer to that dell micro says 4 sent 4 recieved 0 loss, also did it from the dell micro to the homegroup pc same results 4 sent 4 received 0 loss, so I think I am ok there, disabled firewall too retried still no luck.

Kinda stumped at this point, will continue to google around as well, but it seems like everything "should" work I just get to that point of it seeing the homegroup, entering the password (it's correct), and within a few mins I get that popup saying Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network.

I can surf the web, use plex server, netflix, speedtest shows 41mbps, it's solid and strong just something weird inbetween them not letting this one computer connect to that homegroup.

Bill_A

Bill_A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I never could get it worked out so I removed the homegroup, made a new one and it just worked, odd but something about the old homegroup just wouldn't let that new dell join.  After I remade it it joined no problem.