Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

real time thumbnail preview in taskbar

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

lazyoli

lazyoli

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

i used to have this in windows 7. now the thumbnails in the taskbar don't show me the actual running programs if i mouseover them but only stillshots. those snapshots aren't even taken in real time but are just some random shots from seconds/minutes (?) ago. is there a way to bring this feature back?

thanks in advance.

Advertisements

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

thanks for the reply.

hm that option is already activated. every other setting except mouseshadow and save miniature preview for taskbar has a check mark.

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

newest drivers are installed via nvidia menu. doesn't help sadly.

i should maybe mention that so far the only game that actually has given me an in-game image is blood bowl chaos edition. most games just show a black screen if i mouseover the thumbnail in the taskbar (after alt tab to desktop).

does windows need more memory space reserved for this somehow?

i have

8gb RAM 

intel i5 6600k

asrock h170 pro4 hyper

geforce gtx 1070

be quiet straight power 680w

hm setting swap file memory from 2gb to 4gb max didn't help...

Edited by lazyoli, 06 December 2016 - 03:51 PM.

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
so it did find corrupted data, which is quite amazing since it is an all around new system, and said they were successfully repaired after the scan. it didn't help though.

the memory is not at full capacity while running the somewhat old blood bowl (see screenshot) but quite high while running the elder scrolls online (an mmo-rpg) with 80% RAM usage.

another thing i tested is the windows media player, which i consider a rather small program (40% RAM), with some visualizations turned on. it shows me a stillshot just like blood bowl
but when i have it open in windowed mode instead of minimized it does show me the full real time animations in the taskbar thumbnail! that kinda defeats the purpose of
having the preview though. i can just look at the real program then. lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• taskbar bb.jpg
  • taskbar teso.jpg

Edited by lazyoli, 07 December 2016 - 04:29 PM.

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

huh? but when is it previewing anything then? when the window is open i don't need a preview. dang. windows 7 did that just that fine. have to look up the specifics for windows 10. thanks.

Edited by lazyoli, 07 December 2016 - 07:45 PM.

lazyoli

lazyoli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

well i managed to get it working for blood bowl a little while after i reset my portforwarding stuff. don't know if that has anything to do with it though. i'm not sure what caused it but it DOES work under windows 10 as i used to know it. at least for that specific game. sadly it worked only for a day. i didn't do any system tweaking that day so i don't know what causes it to turn itself on/off.

Edited by lazyoli, 18 December 2016 - 11:21 PM.