Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive is NOT readable or accessible

Secondary drive unaccessible

• Please log in to reply

rayvin

rayvin

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello,

I am in need of help to regain access to my documents on a secondary drive.  It did not appear inside of the "my computer" window.   I am able to see my hard drive in device manager and initially it did not have an drive letter but was able to assign it one recently.  Now it shows inside of the "my computer" window but it hangs when I attempt to access it by means of right clicking or double clicking the drive.  I have swapped SATA connections on the motherboard attempting to trouble shoot the ports but same problem persists. 

Since it is just a secondary drive it does not need a boot record right?

This on an HP Gateway LX 6810-01

Windows 7 Ult

All stock just upgraded ram and hard disks.

Advertisements

chrissymarie

chrissymarie

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

You can try this http://www.blogsdna....n-windows-7.htm

oliverpowell

oliverpowell

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

There are some common fixes which you may try out:

1)    Trying plugging the hard drive into another USB port, if it is working perfectly then there might be the problem with your USB port.

2)    Try connecting your hard drive with another computer.

If the above two fixes are not working fine, then you may try a third party data recovery software for regaining access to all your secondary drive

rayvin

rayvin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I should not have left this topic go stagnant.  In reply to previous ideas

@chrissymarie I did have ownership thank you I used a command prompt when the drive was readable to do so,  

@Freebooter I am no longer able to complete any actions to the hard drive that is no longer accessible 

@oliverpowell good ideas and I had also completed the same actions and it hangs the system at each usb port

So since I had posted I had sent out the drive because it seemed that possibly my PCB board was bad.  Initially I was going to do the job myself however I discovered that it needed to have the bios chip removed and and a new one welded in that matched exactly.  That was outside my scope and sent it to them for the work.  They tested it and said it needed professional recovery and that the PCB was not the issue.  Since my PCB is ok what program can I use to force the drive to be accessible?

rayvin

rayvin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hard drive spins quietly and gets power.  It just can't be seen for some reason for me to access it.  No drive letter appears under my computer with it but I know what drive letter it should be.  Would this be a head issue?

rayvin

rayvin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Would swapping the platters into a new hard drive make the data readable?