Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scanning via wireless v computer

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Have spent a lot of time today (when I should have been doing other things! :() trying to sort out my scanner, as I had several urgent documents to scan.

Since reinstalling my Dell C1765nfw printer/scanner this summer, the scanner has been ridiculously slow to scan documents. I couldn't work out why, although I suspected that it might be scanning wirelessly, instead of via the usb connection. I couldn't find how to change that though!

Since yesterday, the scanner also began to stop scanning in the middle of the operation - telling me that it could not connect to the scanner. After nearly pulling my hair out with frustration (and taking a couple of hours to scan just a few pages) I eventually found a way to change the setting by clicking on a 'port' button and changing the setting from network to fixed there. All is now well!  :thumbsup:

I am however wondering if it was normal for it to take so long to print wirelessly - and ultimately to keep cutting out and telling me it could not connect at all. I do sometimes use my notebook or phone to print wirelessly and that always takes ages too. Just want to know if this is usual.

Perhaps I should mention that we have got cable broadband via Virgin Media and within the last few days I have installed a new router which is supposed to make everything much faster. Before it was installed I was getting lots of problem all the time with the internet disconnecting and then reconnecting. Haven't noticed the problem since installing the router, but it was only installed on Monday.

Many thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

Chris.

Advertisements

chrissymarie

chrissymarie

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Test your Internet speed please here http://testmy.net/ Your Internet speed has a lot to do with everything you do on the PC. When you are using WI FI its more important.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Okay, here are the results of my internet speed test. I know really very little about internet speeds.

speedtest.JPG

Thanks,

Chris

chrissymarie

chrissymarie

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Ok, you look good as far as your speed, is there an update for your routers firmware? are you having any other problems with other devices being slow or disconnecting randomly.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

The router has only just been installed and I think it said it was downloading all the updates etc. I am not aware of anything else that isn't working properly.

JFYI these are the speeds I am supposed to be getting with this super-fast internet hub.

speedtest2.JPG

Thanks,

Chris.

chrissymarie

chrissymarie

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Please go to the manufacturers website of the Scanner  and update driver's I can help you do this if you can post the name and model of your scanner or you can do it. This is a troubleshooting starting point.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

This MFP's scanner was very slow in our tests whether connected via USB or Wi-Fi. Its 42-second preview time is one of the slowest we've measured, and while low-resolution scans were merely sluggish, high-resolution work was glacial: our 1,200dpi scan of a 6x4in photo took four minutes. It's unusual for an office scanner to have a 1,200dpi optical resolution, however, and the results at 600dpi and above were rather good, with accurate focus and good detailing.

http://www.expertrev...-printer-review

the higher the scan resolution the better the results but it does take a long time for that printer/scanner according to the review so it might be worth experimenting and see if a much lower resolution is good enough with the benefits of a quicker scan time.

:popcorn:

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Thanks very much to both of you for your assistance.

To be honest, it is the stopping in the middle of a scan that bothers me most. I did managed to find a firmware update and also a slightly more up-to-date driver and when I tested the scanner a couple of times last night using wireless it didn't stall, so maybe it will be okay now.

That's a very interesting review of the Dell c1765nfw which you posted Terry. Maybe scanning via wireless has always been slow and I just haven't noticed. I don't usually use wireless to scan - or at least, I didn't before the setting somehow got messed up! :laughing:

I don't share the opinion expressed in the review that scanning is slow even via usb; it seems absolutely fine to me using the usb connection to the computer. But then, the printer we had before this one was pretty slow - so after using that, this one is a joy to use. 

I really love this printer overall; the quality of printing is just amazing. My main criticism of  the model though is that I don't think it is very reliable in terms of breaking down/developing faults. I had problem with mine after having it exactly one year when it wouldn't work because it was wrongly telling me that there was a paper jam. As it was still withing the 2-year guarantee period, Dell sent me a (reconditioned) replacement and since having it I have realised that the previous model was always faulty, as it had always refused to work when there were just a few bits of paper left in the feeder. The replacement has been fine until recently, but it now often sounds as if the engine (for want of a better word) is running on after we have printed something. To stop it, we have to turn it off at the switch and then on again.

Even with all the problems though, I am still glad that I bought this printer as the quality of printing is just so excellent.

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully all will be well now.  :thumbsup:

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 10 December 2016 - 12:25 PM.