Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Components advice for DIY router needed!

• Please log in to reply

Formido

Formido

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

I'm doing a DIY router using pfSense. I'm using AMD FX-4300 (95W). Motherboard will be Asus M5A78L-M/USB3. Not sure about SSD...maybe Intel 320 Series, as it seems to be the only Intel SSD I can find for SATA2 at decent price. Already have a Intel PRO/1000 PT

Dual-port NIC, but it didn't come with a low-profile thingie, so may need to buy another NIC. All the rest of the components I could use help picking...CPU cooler, power supply, case, etc. I need this build to have either internal or external CD/DVD ROM drive. It will be six feet from my bed, so sound proofing the case is likely needed. This will be a wired-only router, so no wi-fi stuff. Anything else you need to know to help pick parts, just ask. Thanks for any assistance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You have not mentioned needing or having the following in your OP, RAM, an OS, an add on video card, can you let us know if you need one or more of the aforementioned.

We could also do with knowing what the main use of the computer will be, more demanding tasks require more RAM and an add on video card whereas only browsing the internet and office/scool type use 4GB of RAM and onboard graphics will suffice.

Edit to add, terry1966 kindly advised me that you will not need an add on video card or alternative OS so a list of parts here

Please note that no RAM is included and that the case has front USB 3.0 ports on it but your MB does not have an internal connector for those front ports.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Not heard back from you Formido, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Not heard back from you Formido, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Sorry, I am in the process of looking into switching gears and doing an Intel based build as so many have been pushing me to it. It will take awhile to look into, as i basically have to start from scratch. Give me a week or so.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

No worries Formido, sad fact is that we get so many abandoned threads that I like to make sure that folk are still around when we don`t hear back from them.

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

No worries Formido, sad fact is that we get so many abandoned threads that I like to make sure that folk are still around when we don`t hear back from them.

Its okay to keep after me, as I am forgetful as can be, so reminders are never a bad thing. Anyway, I have been convinced that an Intel core i3 will get me gigabit throughput (or very very close to it!), so I have been researching components. Intel is gawd-awful expensive, and my budget is still near $300, but it looks like these CPUs might work:

Intel core i3-4130

core i3-4150

core i3-4160

core i3-4170

These are the motherboards I've found:

Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A

Asus H81M-C/CSM

H97M-E/CSM

MSI B85M-G43

For RAM, I would like G.Skill or Crucial. 8GB.

I have not had time to research SSDs, but I would like an Intel, probably 120GB.

Okay, so that's how far I have gotten. I don't have any preferences for the above CPUs and motherboards. The CPUs are pretty much set, as it does not look like I can afford any others. The motherboards are just the only ones I could find that fit my requirements:

1. Must have one usable x4 to x16 PCIe slot for my Intel dual-port NIC.

2. Must have some form of onboard graphics, as I don't want to deal with a graphics card.

3. Must have mostly good buyer reviews at Amazon, TigerDirect, etc. Mixed reviews get me wary.

4. Must have VGA port for my monitor.

5. Must have either two ps/2 ports or two USB2 ports for my keyboard & mouse.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Intel is gawd-awful expensive, and my budget is still near $300

3. Must have mostly good buyer reviews at Amazon, TigerDirect, etc. Mixed reviews get me wary.

The list and quality of parts required is not doable on a $300 budget, best I can do here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Not heard back from you regarding this thread Formido, do you still require assistance here, an update would be appreciated.

Formido

Formido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Not heard back from you regarding this thread Formido, do you still require assistance here, an update would be appreciated.

My parts-list is nearly complete. Delay is due to my having to change the case...too difficult to find a good PSU replacement. My choice for case is now HEC Compucase 7K09BBA30FNRX, and hoping either Seasonic SS-300TFX or SS-300TGW will fit it. Maybe someone here knows for sure. I think its good to go but not certain.