Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need to check for updates if I remove the HP support assistant?

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 December 2016 - 04:20 AM

rwig123, Now that it is installed, do I need to check for updates my periodically? I can search for "check for updates" and check for updates manually. But will updates (like driver upd... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rwig123

rwig123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I just uninstalled HP Support Assistant and HP Framework from my HP Windows 10 laptop, because they were causing high CPU usage (and kept my fan running). 

Now that it is installed, do I need to check for updates my periodically? I can search for "check for updates" and check for updates manually. But will updates (like driver updates, software, or security updates) be checked for and downloaded automatically? I would like it if this were so out of convenience. I just am not a fan of HP Support Assistant/Framework doing this.

Thank you

Ryan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:  rwig123,

Now that it is installed, do I need to check for updates my periodically? I can search for "check for updates" and check for updates manually. But will updates (like driver updates, software, or security updates) be checked for and downloaded automatically? I would like it if this were so out of convenience

Sorry but you cannot have it both ways, by uninstalling HP Support Assistant and HP Framework you have uninstalled what is needed for HP to auto update its drivers and software, such software is often referred to as bloatware and with new computers I also tend to uninstall it, there are certain provisos for this though such as what HP hardware a person is using.

If you are only using a HP notebook and everything is working as it should I would be happy as things are, see my canned text below regarding driver updates etc;

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and may also not resolve the issue. 

Where possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

rwig123

rwig123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you for the response PhillPower! Is a silly question that just couldn't quite find an answer for. Really appreciate your advice  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No such thing as a silly question being asked so never be afraid to ask here   :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)