Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cables for LG external DVD drive

External DVD drive sata cables

• Please log in to reply

Kelpie

Kelpie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I recently bought an internal DVD drive on eBay. I spoke to someone from LG but they say it's not an Australian model so they don't know anything about it. The drive didn't come with cables or a manual, so I need help please.

About the DVD drive:
It is a 'Super Multi DVD Writer GH24NSD1'
It has two holes to put cables in. One is long and narrow and is labelled 'sata power connector'. The other is short and narrow and is labelled 'sata signal connector'

Manufactured June 2016 (so it is not an old model)
ROM VER: LG00
S/N: 606HBXG102418
SVC Code: NSD1
Also it has HF20C above the holes for the cables

What I need to know:
1. What sata cables do I need to use this with my laptop?
2. Should the DVD drive still work in Australia,
with Australian DVDs, even though it is a different country's model? (I don't know which country, and nor does the LG rep)

About my pc:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4006 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics Family, 2035 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 224 GB (180 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO, 20C0A0HRAU
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Disabled

Edited by Kelpie, 13 December 2016 - 08:42 AM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

your going to need something like this :- https://www.amazon.c...3TRRHNQAH45HYEX

to guarantee you have enough power so the drive will work, this type uses a dedicated external power supply to power the drive, that particular one can be used to connect both ide or sata type drives to your laptop.

usually computer dvd drives are region free, haven't seen a region locked drive in years so i don't expect you to have a problem there, but if you do then it is possible to change the drives region, haven't done it myself for years so can't remember the steps but will look them up if you find the dvd drive doesn't work for your region.

if memory serves there is a limit to how many times you can change the region before it locks to the last change think it was 6 but again that won't matter to you if you do need to change it just the once to your region.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 13 December 2016 - 02:59 AM.

Kelpie

Kelpie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

your going to need something like this :- https://www.amazon.c...3TRRHNQAH45HYEX

to guarantee you have enough power so the drive will work, this type uses a dedicated external power supply to power the drive, that particular one can be used to connect both ide or sata type drives to your laptop.

usually computer dvd drives are region free, haven't seen a region locked drive in years so i don't expect you to have a problem there, but if you do then it is possible to change the drives region, haven't done it myself for years so can't remember the steps but will look them up if you find the dvd drive doesn't work for your region.

if memory serves there is a limit to how many times you can change the region before it locks to the last change think it was 6 but again that won't matter to you if you do need to change it just the once to your region.

:popcorn:

Thanks so much Terry, I won't mark as solved yet because I haven't got a similar cable yet to see if it works, but hopefully I will soon. Yay! I was hoping dvd drives were region free :spoton: