Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WORD OPENS MY DOCUMENTS!

• Please log in to reply

Frizz

Frizz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
PLEASE HELP!! I SOMEHOW ALTERED MY COMPUTER SETTINGS AND NOW EVERY PROGRAM I OPEN USES MICROSOFT WORD TO OPEN IT. AND MOST OF THE PROGRAMS OPEN WITH A CRAZY FONTS AND LETTERS SO THE PROGRAM IS UNUSABLE. I FOUND A WEBSITE THAT HAD A FILE THAT WILL RESET MY WINDOWS DEFAULT SETTINGS AND FIX IT BUT I CANNOT FIND THE WEBSITE ANYMORE. I THINK IT WAS CASTLECOPS.COM BUT NOW I CAN'T FIND IT ON THAT WEBSITE. ALL I CAN FIND IS THE WINDOWS XP DEFAULT FILE. I CURRENTLY USE WINDOWS 2000 AND DON'T HAVE THE DISK ANYMORE. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
We've got you covered. Go to Start at the bottom left, choose Run, type in "regedit" w/o the quotation marks. Expand HKey-Classes Root, look for .exe in the list, highlight the folder. In the right hand screen you should see one or two icons with names or addresses of programs near them. In your situation one of them should say "default, microsoft word". Right click on the icon and choose "delete". Your problem should disappear. :tazz: