Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New OLD PC and possible GPU issues.

AMD Screen Blinks

• Please log in to reply

Maleboe

Maleboe

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

My friend gave me his old pc when he built him a new pc. This PC is better than my current one and I love it. I am having one little issue. When doing things on it the screen will randomly blink. That can be murder on the eyes. Thanks for the help in advance.

Josh

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Maleboe,

Not enough info for us to work with atm;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

The one thing that Speccy cannot tell us is the brand and model name or number of the PSU, can you include these details in your reply for us  :thumbsup:

Maleboe

Maleboe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Speccy stats:

http://speccy.pirifo...fd4yLgTjBrTMsXE

PSU:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153052

I hope this is what you need. Thanks in advance.

Josh

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You have three problems that are quite evident, two related to the junk PSU and one to low free storage space on the C: drive, the latter will not have been the cause of the annoying blinking but if not addressed it will result in a corrupt OS and/or a failed HDD.

To the PSU, where do I start, the following in no particular order and all equally as important, the PSU is badged as 500W but when tested could not even produce a stable 400W, it was so bad in fact that the testers Hardware Secrets recommended Thermaltake rebadge the unit as 300W, see report here pay particular attention to what is said about the amps that the unit produced;

Being able to get only 375 W from a 500 W power supply is not the worst part: starting at 310 W +12 V outputs were presenting voltages lower than the minimum allowed, offering real risk to your components.

The Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU was first released way back in 2008 meaning that your PSU has the potential to be 8+ years old, the said unit was tested by HW S in 2010 so even allowing for this the present PSU would be out of warranty and even if a good PSU it should have been replaced before now in any event and with a minimum of a 500W bronze rated unit from a reputable company.

Speccy is showing that the output on the +5 and +12V rails on the PSU is too high, your computer is not under any load at present and these figures will change when it is and not for the better.

Your video card requires a minimum of a 450W PSU with 34 amps on the +12V rail, the present PSU cannot produce either, never has and has quite possibly caused irrepairable damage to one or more of the other hardware components. Radeon HD 5770 1024MB PSU requirements info here

Your CPU is showing the Average Temperature: 71 °C this is not only way too hot for a processor that is doing next to nothing but also the max before the CPUs thermal trip should activate and shut down the computer, CPU specs here the temps are most likely the cause of the bad PSU as it struggles to produce the power required but would recommend that the inside of the case be checked for dust build up around the HS and CPU cooling fan and to see what other cooling fans (if any) are present etc.

I strongly recommend that you do not use the computer until the present PSU has been replaced, an example of the PSU that you need here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Not heard back from you Maleboe, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.