Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD vs SSHD: Reliability and Lifespan

HDD SSHD

• Please log in to reply

JeromeR

JeromeR

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop hard drive is starting to give up. It has bad sectors and crashing constantly so I am looking to buy a new hard drive for my laptop.
I have found 2 for my laptop, both are 1TB but one is a standard HDD and the other is a SSHD. The HDD is a Toshiba 1TB 2.5" L200 Hardrive (Product code: HDWJ110EZSTA) and the SSHD is a Toshiba 1TB SSHD 2.5'' SATA 8G SSD 3GB/s 9.5mm (Model Number: MQ01ABD100H). So I know the SSHD will boot up my laptop faster but I want to know which hard drive will be better in terms of reliability and lifespan.
Your answers doesn't have to be specific to those hard drives but HDD and SSHD in general.
Thanks in advance

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 629 posts
That's a tough question, as the price differential between the SSD and the "spinner" is likely to be substantial, (However so is the improvement in performance, and not just in start up time, but across the board)

It's fair to say that no drive whether spinner or Solid state, is likely to last forever, at some stage they will all fail, but the methods of usage especially with a SSD is important, trying a defrag for example is an absolute No No with SSD's. The operating system is also important, using a modern one optimised for SSD's can extend the lifespan.

With a little luck and good operating procedures either should outlast the typical lifespan of a laptop that has already seen a year or two's use.
Regards
paws

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

think you miss read it paws, sshd's (solid state hybrid drive.) are not the same as a typical ssd (solid state drive.), they have both the platters of a normal hdd (hard disk drive.) and a small amount of ssd cache storage, personally i wouldn't touch them, i'd either go for a hd or ssd depending on needs and budget.

can't remember why i wouldn't touch a sshd, but think it must be either because i read they had poor performance in certain situations or because i read of some reliability issues somewhere, all i know for definite though is for me personally it's either a hd or ssd and sshd's never come into the equation, to me the benefits they offer are not worth the higher cost than a normal hd or the lower cost of a faster ssd.

that's just my opinion though and other users may find a sshd the perfect drive for them, far as i'm aware the reliability and lifespan are supposed to be comparable to any other drive despite the niggling doubt i have in the back of my mind about sshd for some unknown reason.

:popcorn:

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 629 posts

think you miss read it paws

Terry you are absolutely right..... I did misread it....

(Should have gone to Spec savers!)