Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

bracdaddy

bracdaddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Brand new laptop. open out of the box turn on setup windows surf the web for about a hour then i turned it off using the shut down option in the start menu. about a hour later i hit the power button and the computer turns on the but the monitor is completely black.

Laptop:

Dell Latitude e5570

16gb ram

intel i7-6600u

What ive tried:

1. reboot by holding the power button for 30 seconds

2. plug in hdmi cord to see if the computer still worked. (computer works when plugged into hdmi cable to my tv)

3. toggle screen displays to make sure its not on projector mode

4. boot in safe mode to check drivers on graphics card

Laptop does not have an easy remove battery on the bottom.

How can i fix this do i need to open the case and see if theres a loose wire to the monitor?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    bracdaddy,

The fact that you have a display from the notebook on your HD TV suggests that the notebooks graphics device is ok which leaves a problem with the notebook screen itself (video cable included) and a system setting.

You mention toggling between displays, was this done by pressing the Fn and the F8 keys down simultaneously.

Has pressing down the Fn and F12 keys simultaneously to increase the notebooks screen brightness been tried.

Best done in a dark room, shine a lit torch into the notebook screen when it is powered up to see if any desktop icons or log in screen etc are visible in the background, if nothing can be seen you are looking at either a failed screen or disconnected/damaged video cable, both are warranty claims because the notebook is out of the box new and opening up the computer in any way will void any such warranty so best advice would be to have Dell or the place of purchase put things right.

bracdaddy

bracdaddy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

if i turn on the laptop while pressing the d key and power the laptop will go into display self test.

when this is done the laptop monitor shows colors but only during the test. going to try and boot into safe mode and unistall the graphic card

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

if i turn on the laptop while pressing the d key and power the laptop will go into display self test.

when this is done the laptop monitor shows colors but only during the test. going to try and boot into safe mode and unistall the graphic card

As per my reply #3;

The fact that you have a display from the notebook on your HD TV suggests that the notebooks graphics device is ok which leaves a problem with the notebook screen itself (video cable included) and a system setting.

You mention toggling between displays, was this done by pressing the Fn and the F8 keys down simultaneously.

Will wait on your update and only post the following for now, it is unlikely (but never impossible) to be driver related and for the following reason, if there was a problem with the Intel HD 520 graphics drivers Windows own generic video drivers would load and you would still get a display, imagine if this was not the case, how would you set up a new computer without a display due to not having the exact third party drivers loaded.