Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes and goes into lockdown?

Desperate

• Please log in to reply

VulpinePrincess

VulpinePrincess

• Pip
  • 4 posts

COMPUTER SPECS (and stuff):

Build: Custom

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.50 (BIOS Date: 10/02/13 21:01:46 Ver: 04.06.05)

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 (Serial Number M80-44023300021)

CPU: AMD FX-8370E Eight-Core Processor

RAM: Crucial Technology DDR3 8GB RAM (Serial Number A61496A2)

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 4GB

PSU: POWER CASE ATX12V PSUPOW850MAX 850W 

So, I have a custom build gaming computer that I have been using for quite a while now. It must have been with me for a couple of years now. My problem is that it will randomly crash at times. I've scoured the internet, but nobody else seems to get this crash. Either that or I'm just bad at using Google.

I usually start up the PC in the morning. It goes well for a little while, but then suddenly crashes, going into some kind of lockdown. It severs the connection to both of my monitors, as well as the keyboard, mouse, and wireless adapter, as well as any other external part of the computer. I will be unable to turn it off from the front and need to switch it off at the back, then restart it like that.

It seems the computer does it more often throughout the day. It eventually gets to the point of not even starting up, even after waiting half an hour. I thought it was a cooling problem, but after cleaning the whole thing of dust as best as I could, it still continues to have this problem. It's been getting more common as time goes on.

It may still be the cooling as I never went for anything extra, apart from the fans the case came with.

Does anyone have the slightest clue on what this might be? And sorry if some of the terms used don't make too much sense to me. I'm alright with computers, but no tech genius. ^^;

Thanks!

Edited by VulpinePrincess, 22 December 2016 - 07:24 PM.

Advertisements

JordanMihailov

JordanMihailov

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

try to update the BIOS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:    VulpinePrincess,

When you say that the computer crashes do you mean that it freezes requiring a hard shut down by using the power switch.

Not being pedantic but a computer does not crash the OS (typically Windows) does which normally results in a blue or black screen of death (BSOD) knowing the exact details will give us a better idea of whether this is hardware or software related.

Sorry for the lack of computer specs. I can't actually access my computer long enough at the moment to retrieve them.

Can you tell us as much as you can about the computer hardware, you have cleaned out the insides of the computer so will be able to get the info that we need by opening up the case again, please see my canned text below;

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Tabeer

Tabeer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Here is to make sure your video card and processor heat syncs are cleaned, reinstall the latest version of DirectX, update video drivers and run a repair on BL2.

VulpinePrincess

VulpinePrincess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome:    VulpinePrincess,

When you say that the computer crashes do you mean that it freezes requiring a hard shut down by using the power switch.

Not being pedantic but a computer does not crash the OS (typically Windows) does which normally results in a blue or black screen of death (BSOD) knowing the exact details will give us a better idea of whether this is hardware or software related.

Sorry for the lack of computer specs. I can't actually access my computer long enough at the moment to retrieve them.

Can you tell us as much as you can about the computer hardware, you have cleaned out the insides of the computer so will be able to get the info that we need by opening up the case again, please see my canned text below;

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

I mean that the computer stays alive. Lights are on, fans are running, and everything seems alright. The only problem would be that suddenly, my headphones, mouse, keyboard, and both monitors suddenly disconnect, essentially going into a lockdown. For some reason, when it happens, I can't use any safer method of turning off my computer other than the little switch on the PSU.

I'm unsure of what's crashing or if it's even a crash, but it's just what I considered it.

I can't even pinpoint the issue, but after this happened, I have a theory that it might be the GPU.

EDIT: Nope, still crashed, despite the GPU being all stupid. Why'd this all have to happen near Christmas. On the upside. At least all the money I get from Christmas might help me afford a part or such at the moment. ^^;

Edited by VulpinePrincess, 23 December 2016 - 12:26 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
PSU: POWER CASE ATX12V PSUPOW850MAX 850W 

Have you got a link to your PSU so we can check the specs, Google does not show anything using those details.

Disconnect your second screen and any other additional external hardware such as your printer etc, restart the computer while tapping the F8 key to boot into Safe Mode (no networking) see how the computer behaves after using it for a while and then get back to us with an update.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you VulpinePrincess , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

VulpinePrincess

VulpinePrincess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Not heard back from you VulpinePrincess , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Very sorry about that. I did try and find out about the PSU but I couldn't find out either. What I showed was just what I could find out. I do believe that the PSU is the problem however, and that I just fried my GPU when trying to find out the problem earlier.

So yes, I believe it is solved. I hope so, at least.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

What is the condition of the computer at the moment, will it still boot but it will not play any of your games.

At the moment based on the info provided by yourself there is nothing to suggest that the GPU or PSU are bad.

I do believe that the PSU is the problem however, and that I just fried my GPU when trying to find out the problem earlier.

If you are only having DX problems as mentioned in your other thread your card may be ok, in this instance try booting into Safe Mode only as I suggested.

Your PSU should have an information sticker like the one in my attachment below, if it does not have such an information sticker then it is most likely a junk brand, I say most likely because someone may have peeled the sticker off.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts