Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to setup a second router or is it called a repeater?

• Please log in to reply

frichieny

frichieny

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Good day :)

I would really like to increase our WiFi's coverage. because i got hold of a used router, I believe, It would be awesome to use it as a repeater since most of the time I am at the ground floor doing house stuffs even my neighbor needs internet ocasionally. hehe 

I am going to put a spoiler because the diagram (our internet line) i made is too large haha

Spoiler

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,790 posts
  • MVP

What is the green box on the outside of the house? Is that just the telco demarc or is it the modem (DSL or Cable?).  

What make and model is the used router?  of your current router?

The easiest way would be if the green box is a modem and is providing an Ethernet connection to the ground floor.  Then you just plug in the used router, assign some encryption password, and you are done.

Second easiest would be to run an Ethernet cable from the back of the current router downstairs to where you want the used router.

To use the router as a range extender is a bit more work, configuration-wise.  

http://www.digitaltr...eless-repeater/

frichieny

frichieny

GeekU Freshman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Upon looking at the website it seems like it is like a telco demarc  :) the other green box inside are adsl splitters the current is a h5004n and the one who will i add is asuus- rt-n56u

Happy Holidays!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,790 posts
  • MVP

The router you want to add is a dual band so probably newer than your existing router.  To start with I would just plug it into an Ethernet port on your existing router (best if they are next to each other so try and separate them as much as possible).  Its signal may be stronger.

I've found the program inssider to be very useful:

Download inssider

http://www.techspot....6-inssider.html (this is the last version that was free.  Newer version require a license)
Double click to install it. Then run it by right click and Run As Admni.

It will show you a graph in the bottom right that has your current wifi signal in blue and competing signals in orange and yellow.  It may also recommend a different channel which might have less interference.

Moving to a different channel (by logging on to your router) can drastically improve performance.