Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade computer for video editing purposes

• Please log in to reply

ronkleins

ronkleins

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi everyone,

I use my computer for video editing on Adobe Premiere Pro.

When working on more than one layer of video the computer starts slowing and stuck when playing the rendered parts onsoftware.

I decided it's time for an upgrade that will allow me to edit videos on premiere faster. 

This is my current comp specs:

CPU - Intel® Core™ i5-3470 CPU @ 3.2 GHz 4 Core 
Memory - RAM 4 GB 
Motherboard - ASUS P8H61-M LE R2.0 
Graphics - Intel® HD Graphics 
Intel® HD Graphics Family - Chip Type 
Intel® HD Graphics 2500 - Adapter String 
Total available memory - 1792 MB 
Dedicated Video Memory - 224 MB 
Hard drive (internal) - WDC WD5000AAKX ATA 500GB 
Hard drive (external)  - WD Elements 2TB (USB connected)
System - Windows 10 Home 64-bit 

After doing some reading, my first thought was to enlarge my RAM memory and maybe add an SSD Drive.
Upgrading the graphics card is also an option of course, but I guess not a cheap one....

Please let me know what you think

Budget-wise - I'd rather not to go far beyond 500$

Thanks in advance!

Ron.

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
  1. Go for more memory - Premiere is memory hungry. I use 24Gb on my video editor, but 16 should be fine. About $100
  2. SSD - without a doubt. You're probably using your C drive as both program disk and scratch disk. Add a 128Gb SSD as first scratch disk (Adobe Preference settings). About $50 for a Toshiba
  3. A decent PCIe graphics card is essential. A GT740 works OK with Premiere and they are $75 ish