Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Infected by trojans yesterday

• Please log in to reply

cja

cja

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
This is my first time using this website, not a power user, infected with trojans, computer is running abnormally (internet explorer does not work-friend brought over firefox, can only access my computer programs directly from C drive, window media players will not open any files...) I accessed and saved all my most important data on networked computers and now want to reformat my infected computer.

There are no recovery discs, HP put the recovery disc on the D drive & I don't know how to reformat. Do I need to reformat??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

cja

cja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thankyou very much I will give it a try

cja

cja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for your help, but I have connected with the link 5 times and have ran the anti virus/ trojan scans and it is unclear to me what the next step is. (before loging on I have been using AVG Free virus protection & Ad-ware SE free & each time I run them or open any programs and they still find a couple trojans)

The links to the scan software found infected files in the 5,000 range but does not clean until payments are made--are these scans better than AVG & Ad ware??

I think I just want to reformat my hard drive to get my programs working properly?

I don't know which option would be most effective.

I have been searching this website for other discussion for people who have the same problem but have not had any luck.