Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nearly lethal CPU spikes

- - - - -

Best Answer Kekmaster , 20 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Not sure there's a way to help. Case is solved, I guess. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Well, here's how it goes. I launch up my computer and it works just fine for about an hour. After that, it starts spiking out of nowhere, even when no application is running. (Mouse stops moving.) What it does is it goes from 2% of my CPU usage to 100% in that time period, and then goes back down to 2%. Is there anything that can cause this? I didn't download anything in the past 2 months, and my antivirus (Kaspersky) doesn't see anything. I'm seriously lost. If there are any previous cases of this on the forums, I couldn't find them, but if there's a solved one, I'd love a link to it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   Kekmaster,

Process Explorer will tell you what is using up the CPU resources when you get these spikes, download and use it now to familiarise yourself with it and that will make it easier to use when the time comes to try an identify the cause of the spikes;

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures.

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

This is a sceenshot from when my computer acts normal, even when a bunch of generic stuff is running.

I'll update later when I run into the spike problem again.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU.JPG

Edited by Kekmaster, 29 December 2016 - 09:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The readings above are very good, the higher the System Idle Process figure the better.

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Small update: I've been repeating everything that I did step by step every single day when the spikes happened, and they don't happen anymore. Trying to find out what fixed it, because it sure wasn't me.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

A couple things could cause it.

Your virus scanner is running a scan, a program is doing an update or windows could be downloading and installing some updates to name a few.

Keep an eye on it and grab a screen shot of process explorer if it happens again.

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I've checked for these when it happened, and it wasn't it. It happened even when I had my antivirus off and updates disabled.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

One of life's mysteries perhaps  :headscratch:

At least you now have the means to quickly check what is causing the problem should it happen again.

I would give it at least a week trouble free before considering the issue resolved btw.

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Problem is happening again, finally. I really don't see any drastic changes, except for chrome not being open at the time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fukt CPU.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Nothing shown to be maxing out the processor there Kekmaster.

What told you that the processor was spiking.

Advertisements

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I probably should've captured the graph too. Looked like monster teeth. My mistake, I'll do it next time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I probably should've captured the graph too. 

Aye that is the point of running Process Explorer  :lol:

Looked like monster teeth.

Sounds a bit scary  :(

My mistake, I'll do it next time.

No worries, them monster teeth probably spooked you  :thumbsup:

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Got there too late to take a picture, spikes seemed to be showing on task manager but not on processexplorer, just gonna show both of the things that show the leftovers of the spikes. I'm really not sure what's causing this, but yeah.

Edit: There it is again. I'm trying to snip a good picture of the graph and I can't get the surroundings. Incredible. 

Attached Thumbnails

• TaskManagerCPU.JPG
  • CPUSpikeLeftovers.JPG

Edited by Kekmaster, 30 December 2016 - 08:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Doesn`t help any Im afraid as such spikes will occur even when you click on a desktop icon etc, I`m having no such problems as what you report but look at my notebook screenshot when only running PE;

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

The computer wouldn't freeze for 5-10 seconds and repeat a sound played at the same second almost making it sound like an "mlg" video just from me sitting there and watching youtube.