Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nearly lethal CPU spikes

- - - - -

Best Answer Kekmaster , 20 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Not sure there's a way to help. Case is solved, I guess. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The computer wouldn't freeze for 5-10 seconds and repeat a sound played at the same second 

Sorry but not sure what you mean by the above, you have not mentioned this before, does this happen when you get the CPU spikes, if yes, the issue could be hardware related as in a power spike.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Advertisements

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

A sound and some sparks, and my computer no longer works. CPU is completely dead I believe. Tested it on my other laptop. Doesn't work. I guess problem solved but not really? I'll buy a new CPU and see if the same stuff happens. If not, it was a CPU and the whole thing is a mystery.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry Kekmaster haven't heard from you since December 31st so not sure what you have been up to!

A sound and some sparks, and my computer no longer works. CPU is completely dead I believe. Tested it on my other laptop. Doesn't work. 

May I ask how exactly the above came about, working inside electrical equipment while it is live is a death wish and computers are no different :alarm:  

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I launched a game that I wanted to play that I barely have the minimum requirements of, played it for two hours, and it happened. (I was playing the game since release, and way before the spikes happened.) I'm not sure what happened but I guess I left an application open in the background and it just decided that CPU lives matter and just quit?

Edit: The computer is a laptop. The sparks came from under the keyboard area. I'm a quick typer, but I'm not sure that's what caused it :3

Edited by Kekmaster, 06 January 2017 - 02:31 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sounds like something shorted out, the touchpad/keyboard ribbon perhaps, you may recall that I post the following in my reply #16 in response to your reply #15;

Sorry but not sure what you mean by the above, you have not mentioned this before, does this happen when you get the CPU spikes, if yes, the issue could be hardware related as in a power spike.

From your reply #15;

The computer wouldn't freeze for 5-10 seconds and repeat a sound played at the same second 

Less likely but not impossible to be the cause is the MBs video to screen cable, I say less likely as you would normally get poor quality or no display if the cable were loose enough to cause a short.

When you do your investigation check for any damaged or loose ribbons/cables, blown caps, scorch marks on the memory slots and the MB in general. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Kekmaster, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Kekmaster

Kekmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
✓  Best Answer

Not sure there's a way to help. Case is solved, I guess.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry Kekmaster but as you never gave us any feedback in response to my reply #20 we had no idea at all of how things were going or if you had found any damaged or loose components etc.