Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard disk keeps on after shutdown my laptop (Resolved).

Laptops Asus Hard Drives

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

there are some some light that shows the status of the hard and system they are off too.   If the HDDs LED is not blinking then the HDD is not getting any power. not being read and i... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

aman3d

aman3d

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi ,
My Hard disk is keep on after shutting down my Asus k550jx laptop. After shutting down my laptop with all the light off I have heard a sound from my laptop.I have noticed that is from my hard disk .after shutting it down it is even using battery. 
I have also installed all my driver from asus support center. and even tried differnet oses but nothing works . what should i do?
thanks alot

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:welcome:   aman3d,

This can sometimes happen if Windows is updating when you shut down, but tell tale signs that something is wrong will be it happening every time that you shut down the notebook and the HDDs activity LED blinking when the notebook is fully shut down, this may suggest a system short and if the notebook is still covered by any warranty it should be returned for repair or replacement. 

aman3d

aman3d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for your resposne.
 it really shuts down(before i noticed this kind of thing). my original os is windows 10 64 bit . there are some some light that shows the status of the hard and system they are off too. The only thing that is on is my hard disk. I have tried ubuntu and debian but the problem keeps on. Also changed the fast boot option in windows and bios and no hopefrown.gif .
I have also reformat the hard drive but nothing happens. I have tested the hard ware with everest and hwinfo they show the system is its healthy state. Is there anything i should test or try?
it is under warranty. i just wanted to know the problem instead of erasing the problem.

thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
✓  Best Answer
there are some some light that shows the status of the hard and system they are off too. 

If the HDDs LED is not blinking then the HDD is not getting any power. not being read and is basically shut down.

The only thing that is on is my hard disk

As explained above, if the HDDs LED is not blinking then the HDD is not getting any power. not being read and is basically shut down, is it possible that what you are hearing is the internal cooling fan running on to cool things down.

As the computer is covered by warranty as you have a genuine concern that something is not right I suggest you get it checked out if only for your own peace of mind.

You are welcome btw  :)