Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU space in case

GPU Installation Iwanttodie PleaseHelp

• Please log in to reply

Compunoob

Compunoob

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Did lots of research for best GPU for money

Waited 6 months until christmas

Got dual radeon rx480 4gb (Asus)

Didnt realize bigger case =/= more space for GPU

Opened case to install GPU only to realize truth

Please help

Is there any way to increase the space for the GPU or did the manufacturer of the case screw me over by only putting about 4 inches there for it?

NO i don't want a compact GPU that costs more and does less. (unless there really is one tahts woth it)

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

how doesn't it fit? in length or height ? if height then you usually only need to move a backing plate to gain the extra slot to fit a dual slot gpu if it's length then usually the only real options are to buy a smaller gpu or buy a bigger case.

what case do you have? you might be able to remove the hard drive cage if that's what's restricting the space to fit the gpu.

another option may be to use a riser card but how or where you'd secure the gpu i've no idea. :- https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B008BZBFTG

:popcorn:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Is there any way to increase the space for the GPU or did the manufacturer of the case screw me over by only putting about 4 inches there for it?

Not sure what the manufacturer of the case has to do with the new add on video card not fitting, do you have a case manual stating what size add on video cards will fit meaning that yours should fit but it doesn`t, of no help to you now but to keep in mind for the future below is my canned text for upgrading add on video cards;

Please note that before purchasing an add on video card that the following must be considered;
Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.
What type of case do you have, full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) this is important as you must make sure that there is enough room inside the case for the upgrade/s, upgrading a SFF type system can be difficult as they often use propriety components such as smaller and differing shape PSUs and they only have enough room inside the case for a low profile type add on card.

Compunoob

Compunoob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

how doesn't it fit? in length or height ? if height then you usually only need to move a backing plate to gain the extra slot to fit a dual slot gpu if it's length then usually the only real options are to buy a smaller gpu or buy a bigger case.

what case do you have? you might be able to remove the hard drive cage if that's what's restricting the space to fit the gpu.

another option may be to use a riser card but how or where you'd secure the gpu i've no idea. :- https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B008BZBFTG

Its too long. The only way it would fit is if I take out a back peice to the case. Also my cousin informed me the its too wide? (blocks a couple of cords from being plugged in). Now my mom is going to get the gtx960 for $379 and i feel terrrible. Also I meant that the motherboard is small despite the case size, sorry. (COULD I GET A BIGGER MOTHERBOARD TO FIX THIS!??!!? if not please ignore this comment)

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sounds like your pc has a micro atx motherboard (maybe smaller.) and midi or micro atx case.

i don't see why you'd need a bigger motherboard, case maybe.

at the moment i'd think your biggest concern besides buying a card that will physically fit in your current case is checking what power supply you have in there, as phil pointed out to you.

Is the present PSU (power supply unit) powerful enough or will it also need upgrading.

a gtx 960 needs a 400watt psu i think.

are you sure the gtx 960 will fit? from my understanding it's a full size card the same as the rx480 so won't fit either. i'd be looking at a gtx1050ti card myself maybe i think depending on what you mean by a dual slot gpu being to high and "blocks a couple of cords from being plugged in"

to be honest if you don't know what will and won't fit in there then i'd suggest you get someone to have a look who knows about pc's to check things out and supply you with your best/different options.

if you can supply us a link to your current pc maybe we can check out the specifications and offer better advice.

Edited by terry1966, 02 January 2017 - 12:54 PM.

Compunoob

Compunoob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I took it to the same guys who recommended the gtx960 and they said it would fit. I also have a 650w psu (originally for the rx 480). Here is the link thx. :)

https://www.amazon.c...ing pc x strike

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok. :spoton:

to be honest though i don't see why the rx480 wouldn't fit, according to the specs for that case here :- http://www.aerocool....trikex_one.html

it looks like you just need to remove the middle hard drive cage to have 400mm of space for full length gpu's.

Edited by terry1966, 02 January 2017 - 02:28 PM.

Compunoob

Compunoob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

My cousin said she had to take out the wireless network card (?) and the power cords can't reach with the card in the way. Also it was blocking drives (?) with its case I think? 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2513.PNG

Compunoob

Compunoob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

more

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2514.PNG

Edited by Compunoob, 02 January 2017 - 03:26 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

looks to me like the rx480 did fit even if a bit tight.

hard to tell but looks like you needed 90 degree angled sata cables to use for the hard drives because it covered the sata ports on the motherboard, and you probably needed cable extenders if the power leads were not long enough when it was fitted, though the power leads look long enough to me in the pictures.

without looking up what motherboard an a68hm-e33 v2 is and it's specs, i'd guess the wifi card was plugged into the only x16 pci-e slot and why that needed removing to fit the graphics card but i'd think there may be a a smaller pci-e connection on there that could probably be used for the wifi card if it was essential, other wise you'd need to buy a usb wifi dongle.

that riser cable i linked to in the first post would probably have made fitting the rx480 a bit easier because you could have fitted it to two case slots below the motherboard so the sata ports etc were not covered.

Edited by terry1966, 03 January 2017 - 02:55 AM.