Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No key board function can't boot to safemode

• Please log in to reply

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

This is a new computer for me was given to me and works fine except for keyboard in certain areas.

Windows 7 64Bit

Motherboard Abit IP35

Bios Phoenix Version 6.00 PG

Can't boot to safe mode appears to be no response from tapping F8Key.

Also say for instance the computer is not shut down correctly and I'm presented with the Windows error recovery screen (Black screen with white letters) using the keyboard arrow keys to select an option is unresponsive, nor can I press enter to start windows normally. No response form enter key, I'm forced to wait for count down to start windows normally.

Keyboard Logitech K360 wireless.

Keyboard works in Bios, also from what  I see there are no USB Legacy settings in Bios.

Moved wireless keyboard receiver to different USB Port with no change.

Currently waiting for a wired USB Keyboard to see if that makes a difference.

Any Ideas would be appreciated

Advertisements

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I can't tell if you have a desktop or a laptop -- if you have a desktop, does it come with PS/2 ports?  If yes, borrow a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse and test.  Please let us know what happens.

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

I can't tell if you have a desktop or a laptop -- if you have a desktop, does it come with PS/2 ports?  If yes, borrow a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse and test.  Please let us know what happens.

He writes the motherboard model, Motherboard Abit IP35, which is a Desktop motherboard. And it does come with PS/2 ports. But I don't see why he shall go so far to PS/2 before trying regular USB wired mouse and keyboard.

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Additional food for thought:  PS/2 keyboards and PS/2 mice respond a bit faster than usb keyboards and usb mice  :)

And, if it turns out the usb ports are less than ideal and/or usb controller & circuitry is less than ideal, PS/2 might be in the long-run a better choice.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Additional food for thought:  PS/2 keyboards and PS/2 mice respond a bit faster than usb keyboards and usb mice  

And, if it turns out the usb ports are less than ideal and/or usb controller & circuitry is less than ideal, PS/2 might be in the long-run a better choice.

And that is usually the best way to get around a unresponsive keyboard or mouse issue. The ps2 will usually work.

I'm faced with that issue now. I have a dead mouse, safe mode works but still no mouse, no ps2, recovery doesn't work, nor does safe mode and command prompt. If the computer had a ps2 it would probably get me going.

The OP should try and borrow a ps2 keyboard and mouse.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Thanks for replies.

No fast boot / quickboot option in bios. Still waiting for USB Wired keyboard although I doubt that will do it either.

I also just checked the back of computer and it does have connection for ps2, so I'll try that if USB wired keyboard does not work.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
No change using the direct USB connected Keyboard, ps2 adapter has been ordered.

Thanks
zep