Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apple or Android?

iPhone OPPO iOS Android

• Please log in to reply

JuicyOrange

JuicyOrange

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I know the apple vs android is a very old and tired debate, but could anyone explain to me why android is better? The only reason I've been given is "it's more customizable", which just doesn't do it for me. Any other reasons?

I have been trying to determine the best mobile phone for me for some time now. One problem I keep stumbling across is the fact that most phones I am interested in are not available in Australia, and I have been advised not to buy mobile phones online. Currently I am looking into Oppo mobile phones, can anyone advise for or against them? I have only found positive reviews so far, and I am wondering if there is an Oppo phone better than the iPhone SE, is there?

I'm also wondering if I should make the switch from Apple to Android. I love Apple, but I can't help but feel like there might be better options out there. I would find the switch to Android so much easier if I didn't enjoy my phone being linked to my iPad so much. I currently have an iPhone 4S that will die any day now and an iPad Air, and I find it so convenient that because they are both iOS devices on the same account, I can make phone calls (not facetime or facetime audio, real phone calls) and send/receive texts on my iPad (texts not iMessages or anything like that); so I am concerned that if I switch to Android I will miss this huge convenience and regret it completely. 

I am finding it difficult to find something that fulfills all of my requirements also, because I guess it is a long list. I'm looking for a mobile with good battery life, fast charging, a lot of storage, a really good camera, good speakers, speed, a large screen, sturdiness, waterproof would be nice, and all of this for a good price. I'm thinking it's impossible.

Advice anyone?

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Without going into the debate...which is everlasting and non-conclusive, it is really a matter of taste. (I, for instance, cannot understand what why iOS is better in almost any way, I find Android simpler and easier to use. And I am using both on a regular basis.)

The Oppo R9 might be a good option for you https://www.jbhifi.c...se-gold/374389/. And Oppo has the benefit - for an iOS user like you - that the Android skin they use resembles iPhone in many ways.

Two other pretty good options to consider, and I think they are both somewhat cheaper, are the Moto X Force and the Huawei G8

It is true that the less you are willing to pay you got less, which is true for the iPhone lineup too (how much is an iPhone 7 Plus?...), but I think that the Moto X Force ticks most of your checkboxes (Huge battery with fast charging, nice size 5.4" screen, good camera, 32GB storage with SD card slot for much more storage if you want, and more. And isn't very expensive.)

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

I know the apple vs android is a very old and tired debate, but could anyone explain to me why android is better? The only reason I've been given is "it's more customizable", which just doesn't do it for me. Any other reasons?

as stated above it's usually a matter of taste, neither os is better than the other especially if it does what you require.

main difference really is the price you pay for the hardware/phone, usually you can get much better hardware buying an android device than you can for the same price buying an apple/ios device.

no recommendations on what you should buy, in most cases android works with apple devices and apple/ios works with android devices, so it's just a question of your own personal tastes on which you want to buy.

:popcorn:

crishwatson

crishwatson

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Both are good. It only depends upon your preference. In my opinion, Apple is better as they give priority to the quality than quantity.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

And for me, the Android smartphones I've used are more intuitive than either iPhone or the old Windows phones.

Farie977

Farie977

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Each has it's own pros and cons:

-iOS-
Pros:
-It's simple, fast, and arranged
-Does not lag if you update your iDevice
-It's pretty safe, since it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer/Finder when plugged in to your computer.
-You can bind your iDevice to your iCloud for better security

Cons:
-File sharing
-Customization is limited
-iCloud can sometimes be annoying
-Buying a secondhand iDevice would require an iCloud password to unlock (if the previous user didn't disable Find my iDevice)

-Android-
Pros:
-Pretty flexible in customization
-Wide variety of applications
-Sharing files is easy
-Easy to set up

Cons:
-Because it's open-source, it's prone to some problems
-Not so safe (although some manufacturers have their own version of Android with extra security)
-Bloatware (on some manufacturers)
-Some versions can be unstable (lagging for example)

amaljohnskaria

amaljohnskaria

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Personally I prefer Android because its more "customisable"
The term customisable is used because file management, file transfer and file sharing between two devices is much more easy in Android when compared to ios.
Android can be moded into many versions with proper rooting.
Plus Android has more features than iPhone
Checkout the comparisons of an Android and iOS phones at this site: http://quainator.com/r8t

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Not quite. Below are the Android version requirements for the Apps listed in Android Authority's article 10 best new Android apps from September 2017!

Android Prime Video - Requires Android 4.1 and up
AMOLED mnml X - Requires Android 4.0.3 and up
Fluxy - Requires Android 5.0 and up
Gyroscope - Requires Android 4.1 and up
Hurricane Impact - Requires Android 5.0 and up
MINT Browser - Requires Android 4.0.3 and up
Mixer Create - Requires Android 5.0 and up
Notin - Requires Android 4.4 and up
Reverse Dictionary - Requires Android 4.0.3 and up
Split-Screen Creator - Requires Android 7.0 and up

curlstrain

curlstrain

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Android devices can be customized more than iOS devices. 

Android users also have a lot of choices in terms of launchers that allow for a lot of custom settings like icon packs and color accents.

You can install custom OS on your Android phone.

Access to free apps and games

Google integration

Jasmine Young

Jasmine Young

• Pip
  • 1 posts

always thought that apple is better

Advertisements

jamesmehraa

jamesmehraa

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Andriod and apple are both different and the same in there own ways. Which one is better is totally up to your choices cuz both have there own pros and cons. 

Androids are customizable where iso is more secure.

I agree apple providing very good hardware but it's too costly wherein android you can get all most same hardware at the half price.

UI of both are very smooth

EdwardRees

EdwardRees

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

If you are not super expert in using electronic devices, I would suggest you to use Apple, because it has really great interface as well as super easy functions to use.

It's the most user-friendly smartphone ever in my opinion.

henrwn

henrwn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Actually, you can have Android and iPhone at the same time if you could afford. both of them have pros and cons. 

Fighting LJ

Fighting LJ

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I prefer using Android. The devices are cheaper

Tirthankar

Tirthankar

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Apple is always better. However, there is a small clause with it. And that is, with apple you can only use apple products and other softwares and applications are not that compatible. Plus these apple apps are costly as well.