Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with E-reader/Win 10 Tablet problem

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Hi,

First, I'm not sure if my problem is with the software I've tried, the OS, or my tablet, so if this in the wrong place, I apologize.

I just recently bought a tablet for my mother to use for reading e-books. The tablet is a Ematic EWT935DK, and the OS is Windows 10, 32-bit.

I looked for free reader programs compatible with Win 10 which would read both Mobi and Epub. So far I've tried Icecream and Sumatra readers. They both work fine as long as the tablet is oriented horizontally, but when I turn the tablet vertically, about 15-25% of the picture is hidden off-screen on the right hand side, and I can't find any way to make the books fit in both orientations.

I've tried searching for a solution to this, but I must not be asking the right question or something, because I can't find anything. This is my first exposure to Win 10, tablets, and reader programs, so I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of things.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx. :)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I use Overdrive for most of my e-reading since I am too cheap to buy books.  Overdrive allows you to download ebooks from your local library for free. You just need a library card and most libraries offer the service.

Amazon offers a reader for the Kindle format.  I try to avoid Kindle books because you have to go through Amazon.com when you download and return them but sometimes that's the only format available.

Both seem to work OK regradless of orientation but I can't stand having it change when I lean the tablet too much so I go in to Settings Display Orientation and lock it to vertical orientation.

Kobo is another ebook service with its own reader.  Barnes & Noble also has one tho I have never used it.

Google Apps also offers books and you read them through their service.

There is an email service bookbub.com which sends you an email each day with free and low cost books from Barnes & Noble, Kobo & Google. You can set the genre that you are interested in and only get  emails on one type if you like.

If you and your mother live in different library systems then you can share your library info  and double the number of books available.  I currently have 5 different libraries that I can borrow from thanks to my children living in different areas of the country.