Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook email now only open in small window

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

A senior friend of mine uses Outlook-I do not-hence this post.

I was out of town. She was having internet connection problems. A tech from her ISP came out and fixed the problem. Before problem her Outlook emails opened full screen (easier to read for a senior) now they do not.

Can someone help me help her?

I read one MS post that said you drag the minimized window full screen-not to use the maximize button.

Close that window last. The next time you open it "should" be full screen. That did not work in this case.TY

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Try this:

- open Outlook and resize the window as needed

- open the File menu, click the Exit option and at the same time keep the Shift key pressed until Outlook closes.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Thanks! Won't be able to try this until after noon EST.

When you write "....until Outlook closes."

Do you mean until the email I just resized closes or after resizing the email and exiting Outlook completely and restarting Outlook?

I'm a cup of coffee away from comprehension! :)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Do you mean until the email I just resized closes or after resizing the email and exiting Outlook completely and restarting Outlook?

I'm a cup of coffee away from comprehension! :)

If I'm not mistaken Outlook doesn't open the e-mails on a external window... I'm referring to resize the main Outlook window and hold the shift key when you click Exit the you can restart Outlook.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Now that I'm here on her PC and Outlook-if you  double click on an email in the inbox list it opens in a separate small window. Whereas before it used to open full screen. Basically she wants it to open full screen as before.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Outlook version?

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

That's the main thing I didn't look at. I'm not there any more. I dropped in on her without calling first-I didn't know she was sick. I sent her an email asking version. I will update when I find out. Thanks for sticking with me!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

That's ok.

By default Outlook will not open a new Window to show the open message but I found this could be enabled.

http://www.howtogeek...n-outlook-2013/

I would try to resize the window with the message and then hold the Shift key and click the X button to close the window. If this doesn't work maybe Outllook will reset the window settings if you disable and enable the new window option again!

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Thanks for the link! That was a good read. I was going to look in to her account settings today. I just didn't want to prolong my visit. That tech really messed things up and confused her. He deleted her AdBlockPlus  and the New Tab Homepage from her add on's and said "You don't need this." Changed her home page. :rolleyes: Stuff like that takes the personal out of P.C.

I did try your earlier suggestions, but they didn't work. I'll try your latest idea in a day or so and will advise. :rockon:

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Sorry for the late reply.

Yesterday I got to see this first hand. To clear up a bit of confusion: She is using the web based Outlook email akin to Hotmail under the MSN umbrella of emails-not Outlook Express standalone. That's why I didn't see a version number.

So I created my own Outlook email account-sent myself an email. It opens small as well. I didn't see anything in options to open large or full screen.

She was happy with it before she called her ISP tech support. It opened to her wishes so she could see it. After tech visit it opens in it's own window (small).

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Using Firefox to access Outlook web mail I can't reproduce the problem because when I open the mail inside the Inbox folder the list of messages is replaced with the e-mail contents!

The e-mail will only open on a new window if I select the message box and then double click the Subject of the e-mail.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hey,

I think maybe that's what she's doing. Double clicking without realizing it and getting a pop out window of her email. Once she feels like company again I'll go over. I think terms like "whole window" "full screen" might mean something different to her.

When I open my Outlook I have three different sections left to right: Folders-Inbox and the email window of the highlighted email from the inbox. When I double click the In box email I get the pop out (smaller) window too.

I will have to look at her layout. maybe she doesn't have the folder section and dragged the message section bigger or "full screen" as she says? But I could not do it. It only drags so far.

"Using Firefox to access Outlook web mail I can't reproduce the problem because when I open the mail inside the Inbox folder the list of messages is replaced with the e-mail contents!"

I could not replicate what you did.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

"Using Firefox to access Outlook web mail I can't reproduce the problem because when I open the mail inside the Inbox folder the list of messages is replaced with the e-mail contents!"

I could not replicate what you did.

Maybe is something related with the screen resolution!!!

This is what I see on Outlook.com when opening an e-mail

outlookcom_welcome_inbox_msg.jpg

As you can see the open e-mail replaces the list of messages inside the Inbox.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
So sorry for the very late reply. I just got back in to town. It may very well be her resolution. I tried to attach a screenshot of mine-couldn't. She said she has just been double clicking on it now. Which she seems happy with so maybe we can just close this out? If I would have seen how her original page looked to compare what it currently looks like I could have described it better. I know her description of "Doesn't open the same." or "looks different" are not very technical. Thanks for the feedback!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi Jeisen,

Thanks for the Reply. The screenshot would be good as we use to say A picture is worth a thousand words :)