Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having router issues on multiple routers

Best Answer RKinner , 12 January 2017 - 07:25 AM

Sounds like you may have some interference from other signals. Download inssider http://www.techspot....6-inssider.htmlDouble click to install it. Then run it by right click and Run As Ad... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Bryan1284

Bryan1284

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Okay so I just got a brand new router because I was having problems with my other one and am having the EXACT same issues with the new one. Before I had a two year old Linksys router and never had any issues until I moved around my living room back at the end of summer. Then at some point I began to notice that both my wife and I's computers would disconnect from the router's wifi and would have to manually resync it. Also to note I would notice extreme slow down of internet speed on our phones and even on my video game consoles that are linked directly to the router via ethernet cables. I have just recently bought a brand new Netgear Nighthawk R7300 and almost immediately upon setting it up I am having the same issues. Constant disconnecting of internet and slowed speed. 

I would like to add that before re-arranging my living room my Linksys was sitting behind my HD tv and about 2-3 feet away from my laptop. Almost never had any issues. The only problem was the bad connection to our back bedroom and the fact that someone told me that having the router close to a tv can cause issues. So after I re-arranged the living room I then placed it to the left side of my tv about 5 feet away on a lamp end table sort of thing and the only things close to it is my Wii U gamepad above the router and my subwoofer which is about 2-3 feet away. Last thing to mention I bought a Cat6 ethernet cable at Walmart because I needed a 14 foot cable for the new location.

So all that being said I am desperate to figure out what could be causing the issue as I am now convinced with this new router it has something to do with the location in the living room or possibly the cable. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

Sounds like you may have some interference from other signals.

Download inssider

Double click to install it. Then run it by right click and Run As Admni.

It will show you a graph in the bottom right that has your signal in blue and competing signals in orange and yellow.  It may also recommend a different channel which might have less interference.

Moving to a different channel (by logging on to your router) can drastically improve performance.