Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to diagnose a laptop?

Best Answer phillpower2 , 14 January 2017 - 05:31 AM

Hello frichieny, If the notebook normally gave out a single beep when it booted up but it does not give out any error beeps with the RAM removed it normally suggests that the issue is before t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

frichieny

frichieny

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Hi, So my brother decided to use his laptop laptop which we are not using for about 2 years. The HDD gives a ticking sound, which i pressume that is already dead hehe. But why does it now show any video? when booting up? 

Fan is working the only time it beeps is when i plug/unplug the AC plug 

Edited by frichieny, 12 January 2017 - 05:56 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello frichieny,

But why does it now show any video? when booting up? 

If an OS cannot load you will not get video of any kind, are you able to get into the BIOS, do you get a BIOS splash screen when whatever the brand of notebook such as Dell or HP flashes up.

Fan is working the only time it beeps is when i plug/unplug the AC plug 

Could be a battery low charge warning.

Some pointers for you;

When troubleshooting notebooks when possible I always remove the main power brick** and use only the AC adaptor to power the computer.

If the HDD has failed you should get an onscreen "no bootable device" or similar message displayed, if you are not getting this, any BIOS or splash screen then something else is wrong, in this instance I would start by removing the RAM. 

Please post the brand and full model name or number of the notebook so that we can do some research.

** It is not always possible to remove the main power brick on some notebook and netbook type computers as they are sealed internally.

frichieny

frichieny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Good Day! Phill :)

No video, Hehe. I plugged another monitor through it, Sadly it doesn't give any signals. e1-471. Oh man T.T I think the laptop is already dead haha 

I tried removing ram and the power brick but still nothing happens T.T

update 1: Oh yeah I remembered that back then It shows the bios now it doesn't maybe I should clean it?

Edited by frichieny, 12 January 2017 - 06:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello frichieny,

When you tried the external display did you press down the Fn and the F5 key at the same time to toggle between displays and did you try both the HDMI and VGA ports.

I tried removing ram and the power brick but still nothing happens T.T

Did you try starting the notebook with the RAM removed, if not, with the main power brick still removed and the AC adaptor disconnected, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, remove the RAM, reconnect the AC adaptor only, press the power on button, post back and let us know if you got any error beeps.

update 1: Oh yeah I remembered that back then It shows the bios now it doesn't maybe I should clean it?

Please explain what you mean as in when did you get a BIOS screen and when did you stop getting a BIOS screen.

frichieny

frichieny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Hey :)

When you tried the external display did you press down the Fn and the F5 key at the same time to toggle between displays and did you try both the HDMI and VGA ports.

Still no video/Signal

Did you try starting the notebook with the RAM removed, if not, with the main power brick still removed and the AC adaptor disconnected, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, remove the RAM, reconnect the AC adaptor only, press the power on button, post back and let us know if you got any error beeps.

Nothing T.T 

Please explain what you mean as in when did you get a BIOS screen and when did you stop getting a BIOS screen.

I believe It happened a year ago. I tried to start it up because my dad said that I need to use the laptop or it will get broken, that's where i realize that the HDD is broken :/ This adds a reason why haven't used it for another year. but now it doesn't respond back 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello frichieny,

If the notebook normally gave out a single beep when it booted up but it does not give out any error beeps with the RAM removed it normally suggests that the issue is before the RAM is tested as part of the power on self test (POST) this being the power supply, the MB and the CPU, as you get power it does not look good for either the MB or CPU I`m afraid :( MBs commonly fail more often than CPUs do but as the CPU in the  Acer Aspire E1 - 471 also provides the graphics by way of the i3 2328M IGPU that could also be the culprit.

Please confirm whether or not the notebook normally gave out a single beep when it completed the POST.

NB: Would it be possible to borrow a stick of compatible RAM to test in the notebook, the IGPU relies on system RAM for support so if the computer does not normally beep after completing the POST we have no way of knowing if the present RAM is good or bad.

frichieny

frichieny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Good day :)

Alright I will try to use my ram on this laptop hehe hoping for the best :DD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello frichieny,

Please confirm whether or not the notebook normally gave out a single beep when it completed the POST.

Can You answer the above for us please.

frichieny

frichieny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Is it possible that the laptop can't POST? I mean It doesn't communicate back ,not even single a beep T.T

is this compatible? 

http://www.ebay.com/...F-/301804547700

http://www.ebay.com/...ty/262781532883

BTW: does Pencil eraser works on cleaning ram contact pins?

Edited by frichieny, 15 January 2017 - 02:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Slight misunderstanding perhaps, in other words, did the computer ever give out a single beep when it was working ok, knowing the answer to this question is important.

Hold off purchasing anything at the moment.

BTW: does Pencil eraser works on cleaning ram contact pins?

Not normally necessary, removing and reinserting the RAM will usually suffice + remember the contents of some erasers are particularly abrasive.

frichieny

frichieny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Good day!!

Slight misunderstanding perhaps, in other words, did the computer ever give out a single beep when it was working ok, knowing the answer to this question is important.

Oh, hmm... I don't remember. but I believe no, it doesn't.

Hold off purchasing anything at the moment

It's my buddy's spare :)

Not normally necessary, removing and reinserting the RAM will usually suffice + remember the contents of some erasers are particularly abrasive.

Thank you very much with that info! most of I ask here, that is the way they do it, haha. both ram have some smudges on their pins haha

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello frichieny,

RE any BIOS beep, the following from your OP is what suggested that the computer has an onboard BIOS speaker;

the only time it beeps is when i plug/unplug the AC plug 

Trying your buddies RAM if the correct spec is a good call and likewise try your RAM in the other computer.

You can use an eraser to clean the gold finger on RAM and add on cards, just don`t overdo it and be careful not to get any debris in any slots on the MB.