Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help me choose and decide between two ssd drives

ssd

• Please log in to reply

ripo66

ripo66

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hello Everyone and good day J

I'm trying to decide  between  two   ssd  drives

I Adding an images  of this 2

One is  "SanDISK  SSD PLUS   MODEL   SDSSDA-240GB   SATA 6G/s "

THE OTHER IS  " SanDISK   X300s  SD7SB3Q-256G -1006 "

i have a couple of Questions

1)      Which one is better ?  And newer ?

2)      If I connect  them to pc  the one with 240GB  show only  223GB and the one with 256GB Show me  238GB  It’s  a   15GB  Difference in  Capacity storage  IN THIS CASE

What you recommended ? 

3)      they both sata III (3)   ?   if no ,  its Critical difference  between sata 3 and sata 2 ???

4)      I plan to used  the ssd drive  with adapter cable usb  Directly to computer  like an External  Hardisk to backup some files and stuff  it a good  idea ?

USB adapter connection speed will not fall down?

5)      Maybe  After a while I'll use it to connect  internal hard drive for the operation system so which one  better for two cases

I appreciate your help and want to Thanks in advance everyone   

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8374.JPG
  • IMG_8378.JPG

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I expect the first one is an older model but both are SATA III since they do 6 G/s.  Amazon shows them with a -G25 or G26 after the part number for about $70.  The second one is a bit odd tho:

Amazon says this about it:

SanDisk 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SD7UB3Q-256G-1122

Self-encrypting SSD using AES 256-bit encryption
Support for tcg opal and Microsoft Encrypted hard drives
Compatible with Windows 8 Instant go
Advanced Flash management
Thermal throttling
Capacity: 256 GB
Form Factor: 2.5 inch
Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s

and they want $129.02 for it.

I'm not sure I would want a self encrypting drive.  One more layer of stuff to go bad but I suppose some people need the security.  

The difference in size isn't that important.  

Using them on a USB adapter will work tho it will depend on whether your PC and the USB adapter both support USB 3 how fast it will be.  USB 3 is still only 5 Gbit/s so you won't be able to use the full speed transfer.  USB 2 is only 480 Mbit/s so you'll take a big speed hit if you can't do USB 3.  It will still work tho just not as fast as it could be.

If you decide to install it in a laptop you usually have to reload Windows from a disk.  Cloning doesn't work well going from an old style HD to an SSD.

Did you check the SMART info on the drives to see if either reports a problem?

Download, save and Install it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.).

click on the S.M.A.R.T. tab.  Click on the down arrow to the right of the Hard Disk box.  Select your hard drive.  Click on Perform and In-depth Online Analysis of this hard disk.  Your browser will open.

At the bottom of the new page will be a line:  

The link to get back and see a new report about this hard disk in the future is this.

Right click on the underlined "this" and select Copy Link Address.  Move to a Reply and Paste (Ctrl + v).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

1.   The better SSD is the X300s, > http://ssd.userbench.../m20604vsm25612

2.   Not sure what you are asking here.

3.   Yes.

4.   Not the best use of a SSD as  the max speed of the SSD will run at up too the max speed of the interface it is running from.   > https://en.wikipedia...ith_other_buses

Use a HDD for Data storage.