Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wi Fi Tablet use at Starbucks

Tablet

• Please log in to reply

muraiken

muraiken

• Pip
  • 2 posts

If I buy a wi-fi only tablet,  can I use it at free wi-fi spots like Starbucks without having a data plan of my own?  If so, is there any special set up of the tablet that is needed?  Thank you,

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Hi muraiken, and you're very welcome here to the GeeksToGo community!

It is true that a Wi-Fi only tablet will work at any open-for-public hotspot, like the ones available in Starbucks stores.

As for setup of a tablet. I don't know your level of tech savviness, but setting up a new Android or Apple tablet is a fairly easy thing even for not that techie people.

muraiken

muraiken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Additional question:

At free wi-fi spots like Starbucks, do streaming videos (like YouTube) run smoothly or does that depend on how many people are accessing wi-fi at the same time?  Thanks.

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

Additional question:

At free wi-fi spots like Starbucks, do streaming videos (like YouTube) run smoothly or does that depend on how many people are accessing wi-fi at the same time?  Thanks.

It does depend on each hotspot, some of them can handle a lot and others may be a bit slow. But YouTube at normal (not HD) setting should probably run fine at most of them.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I wouldn't do any private stuff using a public wifi hot spot either like banking or opening your private email because of the security issues do those at home. If you need a email for a public place I'd advise to make a new one that is just used at public places.

gurlytech1

gurlytech1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Yeah, the fact that you're planning to use it in hotspots means you need to be extra careful about what you're doing online.  Definitely don't do any banking transactions or paypal, in fact I think you shouldn't do any of that at all on that device since you'll be using it on unsecured networks.  Or you could employ VPN services.  Check this out, https://securethough...t-vpns-privacy/