Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommend a now gpu for around £30 :)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 17 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

Hello HolyCowZ, The card will play your game ok and I cannot find better for the same cost or less, nearest to it that is better is the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT-710 1024GB The GT6... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello can anyone recommend a new gpu for around £30 it only has to last till march when I am giving the pc away but in the mean time be able to play games like neverwinter and watch videos.

specs of the current machine

OS-windows 10 64 bit

Chip-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Ram-4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 samsung lol only 333 MHz

MotherBoard-ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI

GPU-512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (ZOTAC International)

Hard drive-300gb sata

I had a look at this and wondered would it fit but if you know of a better one for the same money or less that would be nice

https://www.scan.co....ile-hdmi-dvi-i-

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello HolyCowZ,

The card will play your game ok and I cannot find better for the same cost or less, nearest to it that is better is the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT-710 1024GB

The GT610 requires a 300W PSU with 22 amps on the +12V rail, what is the brand and model name or number of your PSU.

NB: check on any shipping costs that need to be considered.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello Phillpower2 thank you for the answer. :)

My Power supply ia a Hec -550TD -PTE it has energy saving written on it to not sure that is relevant but just encase.

You say "The GT610 requires a 300W PSU with 22 amps on the +12V rail" I'm unsure about the voltage thing never tangled with this before.

thank you :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello HolyCowZ,

My Power supply ia a Hec -550TD -PTE it has energy saving written on it to not sure that is relevant but just encase.

Cannot find a specific Hec -550TD -PTE PSU but did find a TA, TB, TE and a TN version which all put out 480W when independently tested, divide 480W by 12 volts and you get 40 which means you should have 40 amps on the +12V rail of the PSU. 

As an asides HolyCowZ, the HEC brand of PSU is not very good and I would suggest that you advise whoever you pass the computer onto that they should swap in a better quality PSU, HEC are rated as Tier Five on toms PSU tier list here which makes for scary reading.

You are welcome btw  :)

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Thank you very much for your help :)

Just one more question  does this mean it will work, sorry I I'm a little confused about 22 amps and the 40 amps.

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome HolyCowZ  :)

480 Watts and 40 amps will run the GT610 but please do keep in mind the quality of the HEC PSU and pass the information on to any new owner.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Thanks much appreciated :)

I think they only want the motherboard chip, gpu and ram as there specs are even worse than this machine lol. But if they do want the psu to I will get them another to be on the safe side.

Thanks again :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are most welcome HolyCowZ, glad we could help  xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.XmCihtcE1S.webp

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

A follow up I installed it and it runs like a charm and it is twice as small and 10 times as quiet all in all so far a pretty good card for the money.

May I be cheeky and ask about the power pack I have been looking for one but am unsure which is ok can you recommend a cheap one that would work for me please 

Thank you sorry for being cheeky.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
May I be cheeky and ask about the power pack I have been looking for one but am unsure which is ok can you recommend a cheap one that would work for me please 

No problem, you can ask away but unfortunately I cant recommend such a thing as a "cheap" PSU only quality ones that come at the appropriate price, got any links to what you have been looking at.

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

That's great thank you.

:)

Here is one I have been looking at it is the cheapest but gets ok stars lol

https://www.scan.co....an-atx-v203-psu

I picked it from this list if any would be better I would appreciate any help as psu's I am lost it's one item I have never replaced.

https://www.scan.co....-power-supplies

Thank you :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Wouldn't trust any of those PSUs to hold a door open, see my canned text below;

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the two attached links here and here

PSU database here

With P&P a decent PSU sufficient for the GT 610 will cost between £35 and £40.00, example here

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello

I get a blank page with the second link.

will 400 watt be Ok as the one I have is 550.

The new GPU  the 610 unlike the old one has no power plugged into it it must draw power strait from the slot on the board?

From the PSU I can see a power lead going to these items  Main board, DVD and HDD.

Thank you for the links they have some nice info.

Thank you Phillpower2, I much appreciate the help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello HolyCowZ,

The PCMech.com Community Forum is currently down for scheduled maintenance.

400W is fine as the 1GB GT 610 only requires a 300W PSU with 22 amps on the +12V rail and no additional pcie power dongle, the PSU suggested by myself was based on the fact that lower output PSUs actually cost more than the 400W, SFX example here and ATX PSU here

From the PSU I can see a power lead going to these items  Main board, DVD and HDD.

That will be correct + you will also have the following;

1 x4-pin ATX 12V power connector for the CPU.
1 X24 power connector for the MB itself.

Couple of tips for you, before swapping out the PSU, take some pictures of the connections inside of the case or attach labels to the present PSU leads identifying which component they connect to then use them for comparison when connecting up the new PSU and please read my canned safety info below before starting;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect any attached hardware such as the keyboard and printer etc, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for 10 seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the side of the case, be sure to take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or the PSU.

If unsure on anything along the way post back and let us know.

You are welcome btw  :)

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

on a budget i'd buy this evga 430w :- https://www.scan.co....0mm-fan-atx-psu

:popcorn: