Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FPS Drops, Display and System freezes. (Resolved).

fps drops performance issue fps lagg stutter

Best Answer Slowz , 26 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

*Frame time spikes – SOLVED*  Now everything runs smooth without stutters/fps drops. This problem caused by voice chat software called “Curse”. Even if i dont run this app or... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Slowz

Slowz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
Im newbie in pc gaming world so dont mind if im not saying as should be and sorry about my English language.
So i bought completly new PC. At start i was using 1920x1080 monitor, but in games like GTA V, WITCHER 3 GPU didnt run full load 99,100% as it should be. So i decide to overclock my cpu.
My biggest mistake - i didnt read anything about overclock i just get into BIOS and raised clocks to 4.8 Ghz and voltage to 1.6 V (pc just crashed and it changed to factory settings)
Then i launched BIOS and set cpu @ 4.2 Ghz and voltage 1.380 V (This was lowest voltage could i set otherwise pc crashed used aida 64 for test) (in total pc crashed, restarted about 10-15 times)
After overclock games stuttering, freezing, fps drops (sometimes screen just stuck for mili seconds but GPU usage dont drops, when freeze is bigger also usage drops, few times noticed that on desktop mouse cursor also stuck's)
Temp's are fine GPU dont hit more than 76C, cpu OC 65C, cpu default 50C, motherboard 35C, SSD's 25-32C. Also reset BIOS to default, cleared CMOS, installed latest version of BIOS. Installed newest NVIDIA driver (used DDU to uninstall old driver's)
Reinstalled win 10, contaced with MSI, NVIDIA, ASUS. Tried to find info forums/videos even took PC back to store for diagnostic's (dont know what they did with PC, but all i know is they sent videocard back to manufacturer and 
they reported that videocard are ok) So i have no clue.. Im thinking that some part is damaged. Any help will be very appreciate. THANKS <3

System:
Monitor: Acer Predator 2560x1440p Gsync to 165hz, before Benq 1920x1080p to 60hz.
Case: Corsair 780T
Fans: Corsair 12mm x 4 quite edition, H105 Thick 240MM
MOBO: X99A GAMING CARBON PRO
GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Advanced version
RAM: Corsair 2 x 8gb (16gb) @ 3466 mhz
CPU: 6850k Broadwell-e
SSD: SAMSUNG 512 GB (win10)
SSD: SAMSUNG 1 TB (games,other stuff)
Power Supply: HX1000i
APC SMART UPS 1000V, 230V

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Captures.PNG
  • lag.PNG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    Slowz,

It is entirely possible that the bad OC has done irreparable damage to one or more of your components.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Slowz

Slowz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Here is the information - http://speccy.pirifo...8EvK80Lnxhy1hhf
I run Intel diagnostic tool for CPU - all passed. Memtest for about 6 hours and windows memory diagnostic tool no any error detected. Also i have 2 sticks of ram each 8gbs tried run them by one but nothing worked out. 

Maybe its the motherbaord...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you Slowz, I have a heavy workload which needs to take a precedent at the moment  :(

Had a look at Speccy and can see a couple of things that are either off or not correct but unfortunately certain info that we need is not reported by Speccy for whatever reason, nothing shown in Speccy 100% identifies the problems that you have only shows that your present set up is not correct;

You post your RAM specs as RAM: Corsair 2 x 8gb (16gb) @ 3466 mhz can you post a link to this RAM for us please, Speccy is reporting your RAM as running at only 1599MHz and having checked the MBs memory support tab and the Intel support tab it would appear that your present RAM is not compatible with your CPU;

Memory that your CPU can handle is DDR4 2400 and 2133, specs here

The memory support information for your MB here does not show any Corsair 2 x 8gb (16gb) @ 3466 mhz as having been tested and approved by MSI.

Power Profile
Active power scheme: High performance
Hibernation: Enabled

Your present power settings may be causing instability as "High Performance" is a form of uncontrolled overclocking, change it to balanced.

Hibernation is a pain in the proverbial and brings nothing to the table imo, disable it for better performance;

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt, powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

You have the following program installed;

Driver Booster

The above program is complete junk and may explain why you have had mouse problems, there are six different keyboard and four different mouse drivers installed, uninstall them all.

We also need to check your voltages but for now deal with the above then get back to us.

Slowz

Slowz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks for reply im thankful for your help :)

This issue now is lowered (time to time is still may notice some screen lag, freeze for mili seconds, but no more huge FPS drops like it was before) 
Things i did:
-Installed samsung magican and under OS optimaztion menu i set Maximum Performance (also its improve SSD performance)
-Before my ram stick's was one sided, now i put one left other right side (no idea what it do, but it helped)

Did a little research about  MB and RAM - my current ram module's are not supported for X99A GAMING CARBON PRO.. Also SSD's are not supported too for this MB but i think its not big deal.

Current ram module's - CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 

AFTER Reading your post.

Disabled: Hibernation 

RAM LINK - http://www.corsair.c...16gx4m2b3200c16

-Unistalled keybaord, mice drivers! but they showed back after a while. (now i have installed Corsair for Keybaord and Logitech for mouse softwares so i think they controll them all now)

-Uninstalled Driver Booster

-Also found some weird stuff, not sure its the game or some of hardware issue - https://postimg.org/image/dxicfo669/

Voltages for CPU and memory are offset (auto) if im right. I dont do any with overclock anymore. XMP for ram is off also.

Thanks again.  ;) 

Edited by Slowz, 19 January 2017 - 09:41 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 is offline, please download/run and upland a Screen shot of Speedfan, >  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Also download and Run  HWMonitor English Setup, > http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

To capture all the info, you will need to take multiple shots, (scroll up each time)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided, by phillpower2, to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Screenshot instructions are provided, by phillpower2, to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks iammykyl  :thumbsup:

After the clean install of Windows 10 did you reinstall the chipset drivers for the MB.

Cant see the SSDs being a problem but the RAM quite possibly.

AFTER Reading your post.

Disabled: Hibernation 

Did you change the power plan to Balanced as suggested.

Before my ram stick's was one sided, now i put one left other right side (no idea what it do, but it helped)

Your two sticks of RAM should be in slots one and three, number one being the nearest slot to the ports at the back of the case, slot two empty and the second stick in the third slot.

XMP should be enabled.

If the problems return after setting up the hardware as it should be then your RAM is most likely the cause as in not being compatible with the CPU when overclocked by XMP.

Regarding your screenshot, that would need checking once you have a stable system to see if there is still a problem with the graphics.

You are welcome btw  :)

Slowz

Slowz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

After the clean install of Windows 10 did you reinstall the chipset drivers for the MB.

-What u mean by reinstall t
he chipset drivers for the MB? 

-After winidows 10 install, downloaded those drivers: https://www.msi.com/...wn-driver64

-Also changed power plan to Balanced.

-Enabled XMP. And yes voltage for cpu is auto, 0-4 core's working @ 3.8 GHz and 4-6 core's working @ 4.0 GHZ (default bios clocks)

-Changed ram slot's. Where i placed them: https://postimg.org/image/vxsqwrfv3/

Edited by Slowz, 20 January 2017 - 08:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Once Windows has been installed and anti virus protection set up the chipset drivers for your MB should have been installed, they are the ones at the bottom of your boards download link;

Type System & Chipset Drivers Title Intel Chipset Driver

Installing the chipset drivers first helps to make sure that any other drivers install without issue.

Have you read your manual but not understood it clearly Slowz, from page 31 your user manual;

Always insert a memory module in the DIMM1 slot first.

From my reply #7;

Your two sticks of RAM should be in slots one and three, number one being the nearest slot to the ports at the back of the case, slot two empty and the second stick in the third slot.

We could do with the screenshots requested by iammykyl.

Slowz

Slowz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Sorry for misunderstanding. Now i placed them as you said.. DIMM1 and DIMM3. Also installed chipset driver's. Will test how game's run with those settings.

I have quick question:
-Im using case  Corsair 780 T Black and there is button for 3 level fan profile.. When i start pc its always on level 3 (highest) but i want use level 1. Of course its not big deal, but i would like to know how to do it.. :)

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The following is from the user manual for the Corsair 780T

1. Connect the SATA power
connector to the PSU SATA
power cable.
2. Connect the 3 or 4-Pin fan
connector to the case fan
header.
3. Push the fan speed selector
button on your case to
toggle fan speed.

Your MB has 3x 4-pin system fan connectors which is what your case fans should be connected to.

You are welcome btw  :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

We could do with the screenshots requested by iammykyl. reply #6

Now that you have your RAM in the Correct slots and installed the chipset driver, please generate a new speccy scan and include in your next reply.

Reason.

Like to see if this error, present on every channel, has disappeared. > Intel Xeon E7 v4/Xeon E5 v4/Xeon E3 v4/Xeon D/Core i7 Memory Controller 0 - Channel 0 Error - 6FB2

Slowz

Slowz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Here is speccy - http://speccy.pirifo...Es2uh5xxKumY28c

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
How is the computer behaving now, if the same then we really cannot do anymore without first seeing HWMonitor and Speedfan screenshots, will come back to this after you have done the following and post an update for us.

The DriverBooster junk and multiple keyboard and mouse drivers are still reported by Speccy, uninstall the lot, restart the computer but do not install any drivers for the keyboard and mouse, use the generic drivers that Windows installs and test. 

Scheduler
21.01.2017 06:33;: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
21.01.2017 16:33;: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
Driver Booster SkipUAC (Ilmars)
MSIAfterburner
SamsungMagician

Peripherals
HID Keyboard Device
Device Kind: Keyboard
Device Name: HID Keyboard Device
Vendor: Logitech
Driver
Date: 6-21-2006
Version: 10.0.14393.206
File: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
File: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
HID Keyboard Device
Vendor: Unknown
Driver
HID Keyboard Device
Driver
HID Keyboard Device
Driver
HID Keyboard Device
Driver
HID Keyboard Device
Driver
HID-compliant mouse
Device Kind: Mouse
Device Name: HID-compliant mouse
Driver
Version: 10.0.14393.0
File: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys
File: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
HID-compliant mouse
Driver
HID-compliant mouse
Driver
HID-compliant mouse
Driver

Slowz

Slowz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Sorry missed that message.

For some reason MB BIOS didn't fully reset voltage's, especially for CPU.. In BIOS is three options 1.Manual 2.Auto 3.Offset After reseting bios it sets back to 2.Auto (but when i checked CPU voltages it was on 1.34 Volts @ 3.8 Ghz) I just set every settings what i could to OFFSET. Also turned ram XMP on/off.. still laggs.

Freezes are not so usual as before after i changed to Offset.. But still time to time they came up and freeze's the game.. 
ADDED requested info and  picture how looks when game freezed! (its not my screenshot, just looks similar to my problem)

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG
  • Capture1.JPG
  • Capture2.JPG
  • Capture3.JPG
  • Capture4.JPG
  • Capture5.JPG
  • Video Freeze.jpg

Edited by Slowz, 22 January 2017 - 03:06 PM.