Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Google search keeps adding an /m/ to the end of my website?

website search google

• Please log in to reply

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I'll let the OP decide from here on out  :)

Advertisements

shouftas

shouftas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Create a page 'm'   Not ideal but it would work

Simply create an M page that automatically takes the reader to your intended first page.  Perhaps a one-liner in there:

"Google accidentally adding /m/ -- taking you to the intended first page."  Very few will worry about re-direction   :)

Just some questions, 

So I have created a redirect to redirect the nonexistent M page to my home page.  

* So if i duplicate my home page with the name M, and put an explanation on the bottom as you mentioned That should be ok?  

* Or should I make the M page different in content then the home page?  

* Will that mean that people will not see my M page as it would redirect, but google will see it with the message?

I just don't want Google to penalize me for doing things the wrong way.  thanks! 

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Simply create an M page that automatically takes the reader to your intended first page.  Perhaps a one-liner in there:

"Google accidentally adding /m/ -- taking you to the intended first page."  Very few will worry about re-direction   :)

Just some questions, 

So I have created a redirect to redirect the nonexistent M page to my home page.  

* So if i duplicate my home page with the name M, and put an explanation on the bottom as you mentioned That should be ok?  

* Will that mean that people will not see my M page as it would redirect, but google will see it with the message?

I just don't want Google to penalize me for doing things the wrong way.  thanks! 

I still don't understand why you are going through all this trouble with a redirect. Guess I am misunderstanding your problem because I have done the Google search the same as I thought you or anyone else did but I was NOT getting the same results. I even posted an image of my search for your site with Google and Bing. Could have done the same search with Yahoo, DuckDuck Go and a few more. At no time were my results and clicking the link from the search links to your site giving me any errors. All went directly to where the links said they should go. All my searches were done using one browser as doing multiple searches with all the browsers would have consumed more time than I have to spare.

* A redirect page will just send the browser to your main homepage. Nothing needs to be put on it other than setting up the redirect so people's browsers will go to your home page. Mostly used for those who own multiple domains but want all of them to go to one main domain actually being used. See URL Direction for more information.

* Many do not have any context as the page is actually just a URL Redirect.

* Google may be aware only of the URL redirect unless you make a physical page. From Wikipedia: "URL redirection is done for various reasons: for URL shortening; to prevent broken links when web pages are moved; to allow multiple domain names belonging to the same owner to refer to a single web site; to guide navigation into and out of a website; for privacy protection; and for less innocuous purposes such as phishing attacks".

I would be sure to use Google's Web Tools and read up on on web site Search Engine Optimization.

shouftas

shouftas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Just some questions, 

I still don't understand why you are going through all this trouble with a redirect. Guess I am misunderstanding your problem because I have done the Google search the same as I thought you or anyone else did but I was NOT getting the same results. I even posted an image of my search for your site with Google and Bing. Could have done the same search with Yahoo, DuckDuck Go and a few more. At no time were my results and clicking the link from the search links to your site giving me any errors. All went directly to where the links said they should go. All my searches were done using one browser as doing multiple searches with all the browsers would have consumed more time than I have to spare.

* A redirect page will just send the browser to your main homepage. Nothing needs to be put on it other than setting up the redirect so people's browsers will go to your home page. Mostly used for those who own multiple domains but want all of them to go to one main domain actually being used. See URL Direction for more information.

* Many do not have any context as the page is actually just a URL Redirect.

* Google may be aware only of the URL redirect unless you make a physical page. From Wikipedia: "URL redirection is done for various reasons: for URL shortening; to prevent broken links when web pages are moved; to allow multiple domain names belonging to the same owner to refer to a single web site; to guide navigation into and out of a website; for privacy protection; and for less innocuous purposes such as phishing attacks".

I would be sure to use Google's Web Tools and read up on on web site Search Engine Optimization.

Yes, sorry, I think i failed to give the detail that my aim was to have my website back on the first page, second or third link when people search for the term "real estate photography kitchener"  and not "panoramic studio, or panoramicstudio.ca". This is where it was for years prior to the past fall season when the dreaded M showed up.

The /m/ only shows up at random times.  I am able to fix it repeatedly, but the m causes my website to go down significantly for weeks after this happens. But I will try some of the suggestions mentioned, and thank you for your input.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

I just did a search for "real estate photography kitchener" using Bing. Your site came up number 2 only using "www.panoramicstudio.ca/#!" as the link. Clicking the link on Bing's page takes you to a wrong page on Wix.

Using Google search you were not on the first page at all. Possibly you have not got a good page rank as far as Google's algorithm is concern because you have not set your site online with proper SEO. Google will explain SEO better as to what their search engine looks for. Possibly you may have too many changes to your page(s) which caused Google to drop your page rank for them.

You can check your page rank at http://page-rank-checker.org/(attached photo) or any of the other many online checkers. This one gives you more results. Personally I think the problem lies with using Wix site maker. Their HTML5 code is not properly done from what I saw on your homepage. I looked at the plain page source code and the GENERATED page source code. The latter is a nightmare.

Attached Thumbnails

• GeekstoGo_PageRank_2017-01-25_14-01-36.jpg

Edited by AstraNut, 25 January 2017 - 02:08 PM.

shouftas

shouftas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I am thinking it might be a combination of Wix, and too many changes.  I've been using wix and its automated SEO funcion for years.  And I was at the top in Google for all that time.  So I don't understand why things have changed. Maybe Google just decided it wanted something different.

Anyhow, I am not that knowledgeable on the web tech side, so was wondering what other editors (such as wix) you would recommend?  I've grown to really like how Wix works in terms of drag and drop functionality, and ease of use. 

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

I am thinking it might be a combination of Wix, and too many changes.  I've been using wix and its automated SEO funcion for years.  And I was at the top in Google for all that time.  So I don't understand why things have changed. Maybe Google just decided it wanted something different.

Anyhow, I am not that knowledgeable on the web tech side, so was wondering what other editors (such as wix) you would recommend?  I've grown to really like how Wix works in terms of drag and drop functionality, and ease of use.

Sorry, can't help you with any online editors like Wix. I code my own web pages so don't use drag and drop.  Any web hosting service, free or paid, provides a Control Panel which has its own web HTML editor.

Wix was set up to make it easy for people who have no idea how to code to generate web pages. Those who have paid hosting elsewhere and a premium paid Wix account could get all the code from Wix and transfer the web site they made on Wix to their paid hosting site.

I use to code all my pages to the HTML 1.0 Strict document type but HTML5 and CSS3, which is more functional and very forgiving, was finally approved and browser developers actually kept up to the new tags and CSS3 for the most part. Most people really don't code or adhere to the new HTML5 page layout but it doesn't matter since HTML5 doesn't really care. Just best to know which tags that have been deprecated and not use them. I have quit trying to make all the browsers happy anymore so I just code to the latest browser versions. If a browser is so outdated that it can't parse my web pages, then tough. Move on elsewhere.