Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Windows 7 a possibility?

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Okay, some background first....... I have an old Dell Dimension 9150 computer which is still running Windows XP - and elsewhere on the Linux forum I have been trying out some Linux distros, with a view to dual booting with the existing OS. 

This Saturday (while hiding indoors away from the cold weather), I was really thinking seriously about this. Although I  would love to play around with Linux, I am not at all sure my husband would adjust to it very easily. As for me, I use iTunes a lot and would miss it. So, I think that there would be a strong possibility that we would both still end up booting into Windows XP more than we should do. And that - of course - would defeat the whole object!

We were originally going to buy a new computer, but this has been deferred for a bit longer due to us having some unexpected expense (a whole new roof, for example!) :( 

An idea that I have not really previously considered came to me this morning. While getting some help on this forum back in 2014, I ran the Upgrade Advisor for (I think) Windows 8 and discounted it because of some possible problems (I think with the DVD player or something similar). Am not sure I ever considered Windows 7..... but today I started to think, why not? 

I also ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and the only real problem was with the Intel® PRO/1000 PL Network Connection for which it said: 'Before installing Windows 7, go to the device manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for this 
device. After installing Windows 7, install the saved driver.' Would this issue be likely to cause a big problem for me? I looked at the Intel device in Device Driver and the current driver is version 9.0.15.0 dated 31.03.2015. I have not been able to find a newer version. 

Please can you tell me if Windows 7 is a feasible possibilty for me?

Thank you.

NB Even if I did get Windows 7, now my interest has been awakened I think I would still want to try Linux, but would prefer to get rid of the XP bit completely if at all possible.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

It should work OK.  If you go to the support page for your PC and ask for drivers

http://www.dell.com/.../drivers?os=wlh

Then change the OS you will see that Vista is an option and under Vista the driver for your network  is:

Network (1 file)
Intel PRO/1000 Network Connections, 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device, 825xx 10/100 Platform LAN Connect Device, v.9.6.31.0, A00 View details
File Name: R142352.EXE
Importance: Recommended
Description: Hard-Drive (2.4 MB)
Release Date: 30 Mar 2007
Version: 9.6.31.0 ,A00
Last Updated: 03 Nov 2011

So make sure you have this one on hand either on a CD or a USB drive.

My feeling is if it works for Vista it should work for Win 7 since Win 7  is sort of Vista Service Pack 3.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thank you for your reply and for the information you provided.

So make sure you have this one on hand either on a CD or a USB drive.

Okay. I have downloaded the driver and it is on my external drive which backs all my data up automatically.

Am pleased to hear that you think it would probably be possible to change to Windows 7. I have got 2 hard drives: the second (larger) one has all my data on it, plus an old clone of my Windows XP OS from back in 2014. I am wondering if it might possibly be a good idea to try loading Windows 7 onto there first. Or do you think that it would really not be necessary?

It would be so great if I could finally get rid of Windows XP for good!!!!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Not sure of how you have the drive with the data and the OS partitioned but you might want to keep that one safe and upgrade the other one.  I don't think you will have a problem but at least you could recover if you had to.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Just realised that the product key in my link is OEM (for some reason, I thought it wasn't).

That isn't any good for me, is it? :(

Edited by Channeal, 24 January 2017 - 11:52 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
What exactly is Windows 7 Ultimate, please? It is the only version of Windows 7 available in the Microsoft Store and the download version is £60. Not sure whether it would be worth it on such an old computer though.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I don't know if the OEM key will work for you or not.  I think it will but can't be sure.  Can you ask the seller?

Ultimate has a lot of features that you don't need.

https://www.cnet.com...-right-for-you/

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Am really not doing well here!

I found a Windows 7 Home Premium key which I thought was not OEM and purchased it at https://softwareempi...ium-sp1-64-bit/

Immediately after receiving the key, I keyed it into the Microsoft Windows 7 ISO download page at https://www.microsof...wnload/windows7 rather than use the link they gave me) just to test its authenticity....... only to be told: ' The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options'.

Does that mean that I have purchased an OEM key by mistake? Or will it be okay if I use the download link provided with the purchase?

Am feeling extremely confused! :(

Edited by Channeal, 25 January 2017 - 04:18 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Does appear to be an OEM key but if the download link works perhaps it will be OK.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Oh no! That really sucks!

Unless I am really stupid, it doesn't say anywhere on the selling details that it is an OEM version. I got the link to the website from a GTG post (post #8 at http://www.geekstogo...d/#entry2553296) and also tried to check out some reviews. As far as I could tell, it all seemed to be okay! :(

I do not want an OEM key! I had enough problems when loading Windows 10 onto my Sony Vaio laptop a few months ago and was told that the key had already been used. That was sorted out eventually and the key was authenticated. I was not very happy though: I had to give a Microsoft guy access to my computer and had no idea what he was up to because I was unable to communicate with him as the software he installed stopped my keyboard from working! No way do I want to go through that again!  :ranting:

I don't seem to have much luck with this stuff!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
You mean from:

Out of stock at Newegg but an example of what Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM may cost on disc here and the download versions here

Philpower2 does a lot more of this stuff than I do so if he thinks an OEM will work then it probably will.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Just to clarify...... I did not mean that Phill ever said that an OEM key would be okay for anyone to use. I might be wrong, but I tend to think that he would never say that!

I merely thought that - as he posted a link to the website - it would most likely be a reputable website.

Thanks.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I doubt he would offer the link if you couldn't use an OEM key.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Okay. I just re-read the email which accompanied the key and it does say that sometimes an error comes up saying that the key has already been activated and that you then have to phone an an automated phone line to activate it. So, will probably end up having to do that.

Strange that the same things happened with my Windows 7 key a few months ago. If this is an error, then it must be a pretty common one!

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
First of all, apologies for my confusion about the OEM issue the other day: seems I got me some very erroneous ideas about OEM! All corrected now though! I have learned more than I could ever have imagined possible about computers the past couple of years - but unfortunately my ageing memory does let me down on occasions! :(

I installed Windows 7 yesterday. All went well, apart from the fact that when I was asked about partitions near the beginning of the installation process, I deleted the existing partition instead of reformatting. That would have been okay, except for the fact that the new partition which replaced it for some reason was not 'active' - so I was unable to proceed any further. Luckily, I was able to boot from my clone and from there take a look at the new partition in disk management. I saw that it wasn't marked as active and changed it - and all went well from then onwards. Am very pleased with my new OS.:)

I have not installed any drivers yet. I have the list of Dell drivers from their website and I know about their drivers having to be installed in the correct order. Am not clear if I have to install all the drivers on the list though? I haven't come across anything that doesn't work properly so far, apart from the audio. Please can you advise?

With regard to the BIOS, there are two updates listed. Should I install both of those?

Thank you.