Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is Windows 7 a possibility?

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

I installed the driver you suggested without success. Actually, I have tried several drivers now and none of them have worked.

I tried to install the following which I think should give some kind of control panel where you can control audio settings etc: -

Driver

Release date : 4 Feb 14
File Name : XFXA_PCDRV_LB_WIN8_1_04_0090.exe

This suite of driver and application has been updated and combined for your convenience. It installs Creative Audio Console to control your audio device's settings. This software includes support for Windows® 10 (32-bit and 64-bit). For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

Game Fixes:

For BioShock™

• Resolves OpenAL issues when you turn on Creative EAX® Audio in the game's Audio Options page.

Requirements:

• Microsoft® Windows 10 32-bit or 64-bit, Windows 8.1 32-bit or 64-bit, Windows 8 32-bit or 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit, Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit
  • PCI Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio

Notes:

• This pack is only for the Creative Sound Blaster audio device listed above.
    DO NOT install this pack for other Sound Blaster audio devices.
  • To install this pack
    1. Download the file onto your local hard disk.
    2. Close all other Windows applications.
    3. Double-click the downloaded file.
    4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

I was unable to install it and received the following message: -

Did I do something wrong...... or what?

Thanks.

EDIT Tried dxdiag again. Can't remember if this happened before, but I get an error message saying 'Error: Problem getting extra sound info' . See below: -

dxdiagerror.jpg

Edited by Channeal, 29 January 2017 - 12:32 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,024 posts
  • MVP

I don't know.  It says you have to have PCI Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio and that's all it will work on.  Is that what you have?

I think the error is new.

What does Device Manager say about the driver?

Is there a sound blaster icon in Control Panel?  My Realtek creates one which has additional options .

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

I have Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM).

On the clone, I have both Creative Console Launcher and Creative Audio Control Panel.

Device Manager is fine: No yellow flags and the lastest driver is showing.

There is no icon in Control Panel.

###########################

I have taken up enough of your time. I think I will ask a question in the Creative forums tomorrow to see if they can help.

Thank you for trying.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,024 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Bye

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
I don't normally give up so easily, but just didn't seem to be getting very far and thought that the Creative guys might know the answer.

This is incredibly frustrating. I am otherwise really enjoying my new OS. :(

Thanks again. I will let you know if I manage to solve it.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

I am feeling better today after a reasonable night's sleep. I was very stressed and tired yesterday after spending much of the weekend trying to sort out this audio problem. When I get a problem like this, I tend not to be able to leave it alone until I have solved it. Spent way too much time on it this weekend, for sure! :(

I have changed my mind about leaving and going to the Creative forum. If I may, I would like to continue here and try to solve it with you, unless and until you tell me there is nothing more that can be done. I don't generally like to leave things half-finished.

Sorry for being a pain and changing my mind. I very much appreciate the time and effort you have put into helping me with this thus far. :thumbsup:

I have uninstalled all the Creative software with a view to starting again. Before doing so, I tried to play a track in WMP and got this: -

WMPerror.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,024 posts
  • MVP

You might just give up on the Sound Blaster.  Doesn't your Dimension 9150 have  built-in audio on the motherboard?  (There should be a set of three audio jacks blue, green and red on the back just below the power cord jack.)

You could shut it down, remove the Sound Blaster card, move any cables attached to the card to equivalent jacks on the motherboard and power back up.  Uninstall any Creative software and then remove the device drivers in Device manager if they are still there after you uninstall.  Not sure what your speaker setup looks like but if you can plug in to the built-in jacks.  If not just stick in a headset in the front jacks for now.  

You probably need to enable the intergrated audio in the BIOS first before trying to install the driver.  Once you do that Windows may find a driver for it automatically.

Then try to install the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.6.10.0.5343, A02  under Audio from the Dell support page http://www.dell.com/.../drivers?os=wlh

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Haven't been able to access the computer much the past couple of days; it decided to start doing lots of updates every time I shut down!

My knowledge about sound cards etc is extremely limited - almost non-existent in fact – so have not been able to make much sense of your instructions. I will go through them one-by-one and see what I can decipher.........

You might just give up on the Sound Blaster.  Doesn't your Dimension 9150 have  built-in audio on the motherboard?  (There should be a set of three audio jacks blue, green and red on the back just below the power cord jack.)

This made very little sense at first – until it suddenly occurred to me that you probably meant the integrated sound connectors. I only know about these from back in 2014 when Phillpower2 was helping me with various issues including some sound problems and it was discovered that integrated sound had somehow been wrongly enabled in the BIOS. I remember looking for the integrated sound connectors and being unable to find them, although I eventually learned from a Dell diagram in my possession that this was because they are covered by a black cap. The Dell diagram tells me that if that is the case, you must not remove the cap but must connect the speakers to the sound-card connectors.

You could shut it down, remove the Sound Blaster card, move any cables attached to the card to equivalent jacks on the motherboard and power back up.

I am afraid I do not have any idea how to do this! I looked at where common sense tells me the sound card should be, i.e. just behind where the sound card connectors are at the back of the computer. I have no idea how to remove the sound card though. I also don’t see any cables to remove, nor do I see where on the motherboard I could transfer them to (if I found them). Sorry.

Uninstall any Creative software and then remove the device drivers in Device manager if they are still there after you uninstall.  Not sure what your speaker setup looks like but if you can plug in to the built-in jacks.  If not just stick in a headset in the front jacks for now.  

I guess this won’t apply if I am unable to do the above. As I mentioned in my previous message though, I have already uninstalled everything to do with Creative with the intention of starting again.

You probably need to enable the integrated audio in the BIOS first before trying to install the driver.  Once you do that Windows may find a driver for it automatically.

Again, this would probably only apply if I could do the above. I will mention here though that the other day I tried turning the integrated audio on – and then off again – in the BIOS, just to see if anything happened, even though I thought that nothing would. I noticed that when it was turned on, it did install a driver and also the speakers then showed up in the sound box.

Then try to install the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.6.10.0.5343, A02  under Audio from the Dell support page http://www.dell.com/.../drivers?os=wlh

Something to leave for now, I guess.

What really puzzles me is that everything works okay when booting from the clone. I find that extremely frustrating! Is there no way I could copy something from there to make it work here? Or to collect details from there to find out what needs to be done here? 

If you go back to message #25 which shows a screenshot of the Speccy detail for the sound on my clone and compare it to the Speccy detail for the new OS in message #19, you will see that there are a few difference.  What is the ‘Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device’?  From what I could find on Google, it seems to relate to voice recordings and not playback. Is that correct?

The following two Creative programs are present on the clone: -

Creative Console Launcher

Creative Audio Control Panel

The following screen shots are also from the clone: -

DEVICE DRIVER AUDIO DETAILS (CLONE)

Device Driver Audio (clone).JPG

CREATIVE DRIVER DETAILS (CLONE)

Creative Driver details (clone).JPG

Thanks.

Edited by Channeal, 31 January 2017 - 12:52 PM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

2nd message.

I really thought I had solved this just now..... but ended up with bigger problems! :(

I was looking at videos relating to my sound card on YouTube and saw one where somebody used a CD to install the card. This suddenly triggered an extremely distant memory for me...... and I rummaged through all my old Dell CDs and found one for Soundblaster X-Fi. It never even occurred to me before that I might need to use a CD! :oops:

So..... I put the CD in and it started going through the installation process. It took quite while, but had got to over 60% when it suddenly stopped and I got a BSOD. I then had to run Start-Up repair before I could get Windows to start again. :(

Where to from here, please?

EDIT The CD says it is for Windows 2K/XP. Is that the reason it won't install?

Edited by Channeal, 31 January 2017 - 02:28 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,024 posts
  • MVP

Very likely the CD driver is too old for Win 7.  Go in to Device Manager right click on it and and see if you can get Windows to update driver I think we've already done that once but this will make sure it doesn't try and use something from the CD.

It appears to me like the creative SB drivers you have tried are not working on 7.  Your clone is, I assume XP, so it's happy with the XP drivers.  There was a  big difference made in how to handle sound between XP & Win 7 and we need to find a driver that understands Win 7.

Have you tried this one?

http://www.majorgeek..._windows_7.html

Going back to my suggestion to dump the Sound Blaster:

The cover is just there to prevent you from plugging in because you have the sound blaster card.  If you remove it you should be able to plug in and activate it in the BIOS.  If you don't know how to open it up the service manaul has instructions:

http://downloads.del...anual_en-us.pdf

You could probably just go in to device manager and disable the Sound Blaster drivers and not have to remove the card since that frightens you.  

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

I have identified that my sound card is Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music (D) v.RC3 WebA03. The Model number is SB0460.

There are some details here at http://www.creative....ards/sb046x.pdf

With regard to your suggestion of physically removing the sound card, I am definitey not frightened of doing it!!!!!  :no:  I am happy to try anything as long as I have clear instructions that I can understand - but I am (quite rightly, I think) cautious about attempting something new unless I am completely happy that I can do it. With my computer, the soundcard is not that easy to access because there is a blue bar in the way (it seems to be supporting the fan). Also, as far as the lead going from it (presumably to the CD/DVD drive) is concerned, I am not familiar with the way it is connected and would have no idea how to disconnect it. A couple of photos follow to demonstrate: -

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

But anyway...... I do not really want to give up on the sound card yet. I assume that the reason Dell added the sound card was because it would improve the sound for this version of the Dimension 9150 which came with Windows XP Media edition and 5.1 speakers. Sound is definitely one of the most important things for me as I listen to music a lot; I have always loved the sound on this computer and it has been one of the reasons I have been very reluctant to buy a more up-to-date computer. Would the sound quality not be considerably reduced if I ditched the sound card?

Regarding the Creative drivers, please can you tell me how to install an older version? If I delete the driver and try to install an older one, it just keeps telling me that it has found a newer one on the system and refuses to let me do it.

I wanted to try to install the older (2014) driver for the SB4060 (see http://support.creat....aspx?sid=61105 and http://support.creat...e&ShowDetails=1)

Thank you.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,024 posts
  • MVP

Go in to Device Manager and uninstall the SB driver.  It should ask you if you want to remove the drivers too  if you tell it yes then it should let you install anything you want after the reboot.  The other alternative is to do a manual update and point it at the folder where the new drivers are.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Nope. Have tried that several times already! Each time it just installs the latest driver, after telling me that it has found a later one on the system.

I have now managed to stop it reinstalling the driver and various Creative programs every time I restart, but when I go into add/install programs it still shows Creative Audio Control panel. When I try to uninstall it, it says:

There was a problem starting C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\09\01\Intel32\Ctor.dll

The specified module could not be found.

Also, if I look at the programs in windows explorer there are two folders for Creative: AudioCS and Shared Files. Both folders contain several files.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,024 posts
  • MVP

Look in Control Panel, Programs and Features.  See if you have a Creative program you can uninstall

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

That's exactly where the Creative Audio Control Panel shows up.