Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop does not boot up, nor startup repair or safe mode

• Please log in to reply

skipper22

skipper22

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hello friends, 
i have an asus laptop x551m model, that won't start up windows.
when i start up the computer i get a screen that says:

windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

on the screen i have two options- startup windows normally, or do a startup repair.
i tried the startup repair, and it didn't work, it just loads and then it get stuck on a black screen.
also tried the startup repair through a windows installation cd, it loads, but after i choose the "repair my computer" option, it get stuck on the blue windows background and nothing happens.

safe mode also won't load.
i tried to run mini windows xp with hirens cd, but got the bsod. 
tried to boot with ubuntu, and it worked.

my question is why windows won't load?
i will be happy to get some suggestions.
thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20161223_154745.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Hello skipper22,

Two possible causes, Windows is corrupt beyond repair and/or the HDD itself has issues.

You managed to run Ubuntu but do not say how, do you have dual boot on the HDD or did you run from a USB device.

Is there anything on the HDD that you need to try and back up.

Did your computer ship with Windows 8/8.1 and you downgraded it to Windows 7.

What type of Windows installation disk did you use when trying the repair option, full Microsoft DVD, OEM DVD, a downloaded ISO or a burned copy.

skipper22

skipper22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hello,
The laptop is installed with windows 7. I forgot to mention that.
i ran Ubuntu with a usb device.
i got my computer with windows 8, and downgraded it to windows 7, this is correct.
when i tried the repair option i was using both usb device with burned iso and a cd.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Hello skipper22,

Is there anything on the HDD that you need to try and back up.

You missed answering the above for us.

Reason why I asked about you downgrading from Windows 8 to 7 was in case there is a recovery partition on the HDD that you could try, if there is it will be Windows 8 and it should not be used before you have tried to back up any important data that you may need off the HDD.

tried to boot with ubuntu, and it worked.

i ran Ubuntu with a usb device.

The reason why Ubuntu worked is because it booted from the USB device and not the HDD

when i tried the repair option i was using both usb device with burned iso and a cd.

Have you checked both on another computer to make sure that they both work.

Does your computer happen to have UEFI BIOS.

What type of Windows installation disk did you use when trying the repair option, full Microsoft DVD, OEM DVD, a downloaded ISO or a burned copy.

Knowing the type of disk used is important and in case you are not aware from Windows Vista onwards the disks used are the DVD type, CDs cannot be used for burning Vista, 7, 8/8.1 or Windows 10 ISOs as they cannot hold the video content that the later versions of Windows contain.

skipper22

skipper22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hello phill,
i do have data on the hdd that i need to backup. the original recovery partition that came with the laptop is no longer available, because i formatted the hdd before installing windows 7.
I do have an uefi bios.
i burned an iso on a 4.7gb dvd.
i tried both the dvd and usb device on a different computer and they worked.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Hello skipper22,

Will come to the data recovery if needs be after your next update as for now I would like you to check something for us.

No recovery partition, ISO burned to a DVD and both the disk and USB device look ok on another computer info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Regarding the UEFI BIOS, this can sometimes prevent boot from a USB device so we need to try disabling secure boot, steps canned text below;

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.
Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.
Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.
Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Not heard back from you skipper22, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.