Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Problems with Windows bootloader

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, Can anyone help me with the following problem on a Gateway PIII which I am selling on:

(1) Installed Windows2000
(2) installed WindowsXP
(3) Removed WindowsXP
(4) Removed all partitions and reinstalled Win2000 only

Now the bootloader shows both Windows2000 and WindowsXP as options in the bootloader screen.

(5) I installed Linux so that it would overwrite the Windows bootloader with Lilo which it did.
(6) I then booted from a Windows2000 install CD, entered the Recovery Console and typed FIXMBR. After replying Y to a warning about possibly damaged or unrecognised boot sector it overwrote Lilo.

Now when I boot from HD again the WindowsXP is STILL listed as an option even though I removed the partition in step (3) and (4).

I thought that installing Lilo or NTLDR would install a fresh copy over the existing contents so how come the Win2000 loader still thinks that XP is present?

Any help appreciated.

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
So you only have Windows 2000 installed, correct?

In Windows 2000, right click my computer, and click Properties. Click on the Advanced tab, and the bottom should say something about Startup and Recovery. Click Properties or Advanced there, and it should give you the boot options.

To remove the Windows XP line, open the run box (click start, run) and type:

notepad c:\boot.ini

Just like that, and hit enter. Just to make sure, post the contents here, so i can take a look at it.

Edited by blsimpson, 17 June 2005 - 11:36 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you blsimpson.

You were spot on and deleting the offending line in boot.ini did the trick.

I think I see the light... Let me check my understanding with you:

(1) The bootloader was actually being replaced okay.

(2) But the items shown in the bootloader menu are not OSes found by the bootloader but rather the lines specified in boot.ini - presumably boot.ini is updated when you install a new OS?

(3) If you uncheck the "Display list of Operating Systems for" option then the system boots the OS on the primary partition without displaying a menu

Is this correct?

Also I thought that turning on "Show Hidden files" in Windows Explorer showed you every file on the disk, but boot.ini was still not shown. I used a command shell and dir /A:H to see it in the end. Any idea what determines if Windows Explorer can see a file or not?

It can't be just "system files" because you can see autoexec and config.sys with the option turned on?

Anyway thanks for your help.