Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue screens and unable to uninstall COMODO 10 - winXP

uninstall comodo blue screen

• Please log in to reply

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I got the minidump files zipped, using 7-zip with Hirem's, and have attached them to this post. I'm also trying to interpret the errors, and search for a fix. But, you may have more experience and can explain the best fix. Thanks again. Have a safe trip.

Also, somehow I'm not getting the 2000-0221 error any more. But, I remember that before I also didn't get the error, but when tested again, I did get the error. So, for now, the BIOS testing is clean; no errors.

And, I am able to restore BIOS DEFAULTS. For some reason it appears as if nothing has been changed, but, in fact, the defaults were loaded.

By the way, I'd just like to save all my data from the c: drive onto a new hdd (clone), and then reinstall windows xp sp3 Media Edition. How can I make a list of all my applications so that I can add them back after fresh windows install?

I've been trying to REPAIR the Windows XP SP3 installation with the original Windows XP installation CD, and I got a fatal error. I can't remember the error, but I'll write it down if it happens again.

While trying to fix things, I've managed to mess things up. I tried to REPAIR with the Windows XP Media Center installation disk. There was an error "fffff8ed", and when it rebooted, it went directly into the REPAIR session that had the fatal error. I can't get windows to boot now. Is there a way to fix this with Hiren's or some other method. I can't even boot into SAFE MODE; ". . . Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now."

It seems I've been kicked back from SP3, to SP2. And the only default OS from the dual boot menu, is Windows XP Professional, and not Media Center. Things are barely holding on. I just need a way to get all of my data and a list of the applications off of the c: drive, then I'll format the c: drive and reinstall Windows XP Media Center, then I'll need to upgrade to SP3 (SP2 first, then SP3), and install the windows updates, driver updates, and all my apps. Not easy. Any help to get me there is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Latest update. I was able to use Hiren's REGISTRY WIZARD to rollback the last few registries. So, I can load my Windows XP SP3 Media Center, but I need to act fast to recover data and apps, etc; then reinstall Windows. Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by Paul W., 07 February 2017 - 05:40 AM.

Advertisements

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Hope your trip went well, or is going well. Still trying to clone my c: drive with Hiren's Boot CD apps, without success. Once I have backed up, i'll format and install linux. Thanks for helping. What did you think of the Minidump errors?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,797 posts
  • MVP

I survived.  (It was a trip to visit my wife's father who is about 94 - deaf as a post but won't wear a hearing aid, half blind, and who keeps Fox News on at full volume.  I can't stand the man but my wife feels obligated to go see him.)

I would think you could just use the MiniXp in Hirem then open Windows Explorer and use that to copy your files to a USB drive or a second hard disk.  No point in cloning if you are going to move to Linux.

Your minidumps seem to be caused by Comodo.  Suspect it's no longer XP compatible.

Paul W.

Paul W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I actually recently heard of a hearing loss remedy on the internet. It seems like it works for some people, but I don't know. It's a combination of olive oil and the juice from crushed fresh garlic cloves. You can look it up on the internet if you're interested.

I thought that I could clone it, just in case, but, you're right, I'll just copy/paste the files I want. Yeah, I think I had a problem with Comodo or even Malwarebytes; or both. But also I had previously installed and uninstalled Avira AV. And, from what I remember reading, Avira AV and Comodo are not compatible at all. And, maybe there was a left over driver from Avira that didn't get removed during the uninstall process. Not sure. But, it seems since I ran CHKDSK with the appropriate "repair" tags, I haven't had the BIOS 2000-0221 error. But, I did replace the CMOS battery too. But, I remember still getting a BIOS error with the new battery. So, maybe the CHKDSK helped. I'll copy all my files from the c: drive, and then partition and format; and then install Linux. Hopefully it will run better after that. I'll check back in for updates or problems with the process. Thanks very much.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,797 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Let me know how it goes.