Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netflix stopped running on Windows 10 Laptop

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Hi,

I downloaded the Netflix app on to my Windows 10 Acer laptop from the Windows Store & it ran fine for 1 evening. Now it will only get as far as the opening page then it shuts down. 

I can run Netflix through Google browser & the app runs fine on my iPad.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled the app at least 4 times but still get the same result.

The reason I want to run it through the app is that my service provider provides a data free service on Netflix as long I run it through the app. Running it through Google uses data.

If any body have any good info or assistance I would be very greatful!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Let's see if it left a clue in the event logs:

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running it a second time.)

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Hi RKinner.....& many thanks for helping out on this!

Attached is first scan log text file......I will now run second scan.

Attached Files

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Here is file for the second scan. I selected Application but deselected System...hopefully that was correct as wasn't sure if you wanted me to select Application & System.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 27/01/2017 10:41:30
Type: Error Category: 5973
Event: 5973 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell

Activation of app 4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8!Netflix.App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.This article appears to apply.  Follow the instructions (do not click on the ads that are stuck between the steps) and see if that helps.

This article appears to apply to your problem:  See if you can follow the steps:  (Do not click on the ads that are hiding between the steps)

When you get down to the step where you have to input: SetACL -on "hkcu\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy" -ot reg -actn ace -ace "n: S-1-15-2-2608634532-1453884237-1118350049-1925931850-670756941-1603938316-3764965493;p:full;i:so,sc;m:grant;w:dacl"

You will probably do better copying the command from the website and then opening the elevated command prompt

then right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied command should appear.  Hit Enter.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

OK RK, sorry but I'm starting to get lost!......

So I should open up the Cmnd prompt, "hkcu\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy" -ot reg -actn ace -ace "n: S-1-15-2-2608634532-1453884237-1118350049-1925931850-670756941-1603938316-3764965493;p:full;i:so,sc;m:grant;w:dacl", then hit Enter....correct?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

oops I left out the link.  Thought I had copied it

http://www.thewindow...dows-store-apps

Follow the steps in the above article.  Do not click on any of the links from ads.  No telling what they do.

Then my last post will make more sense.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Sorry RK....I followed the steps religiously but still Netflix app will not run....opens for a send then shuts down. All other apps working fine.

I have been thinking about the sequence of events with this app. I remember that it is not the original app that was on the PC when I bought it at home in Sweden, & I since moved to Australia. I deleted that app as originally I was watching the Netflix Scandinavia account through Google, but had never used the already installed Netflix app.

I started with a new local Australian service provider OPTUS who gives you free data with Netflix Australia. But I needed to start an Australian account so I deleted the existing Netflix app, then installed the Australian Netflix app.

Having said all that, I did the same thing on my iPad & it is running fine!.....

I thought about loading iTunes, then go to the iTunes Store & maybe get a Netflix app from there......but my HDD is out of space (which is another issue I am struggling with on this laptop!!

(http://www.geekstogo...ing-disk-space/)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I wonder if a country code got set somewhere when you were in Sweden and is interfering now that you are in Australia.  

When you moved to Australia did you change your region code on your DVD?

Search for 

device manager

hit Enter

this should bring up the Device manager

Find DVD/CD-ROM Drives

Click on the arrow in front of it to open the drive list.

Right click on your DVD drive and select Properties.

There should be a tab called DVD Region

Here you can change from Region 2 to Region 4 by selecting your country and OK.  Make sure you do it correctly as you only get to change it 5 times.  Of course this may keep you from playing DVDs you brought with you.

Might be worthwhile chatting with Netflix's customer support: 

https://help.netflix...ular-categories

It could also be something simple like failing a test to see if you have enough space to download a movie.

How big is your hard drive?  What is the make and model number of your PC?

There is a way to see what is going on but lack of space might be an issue.  There is a program called Process Monitor

The download will start immediately but the page will not change.

Save it to your desktop
Right click and Run As Admin.
As soon as it starts monitoring go in to File, 

then uncheck Capture Events.  Once it stops, Edit, Clear Display

Hit Ctrl + e to restart the monitoring and then try to start netflix.

As soon as it fails, hit Ctrl + e to stop the monitoring

Click on Filter, change the first box to Process Name, second box stays at IS thirdbox changes to netflix.exe (I assume that's what netflix calls itself), fourth box stays at Include.  Hit Add then OK.
Scroll down to where it stops trying to start.
Now click at the top of the page and then go down to the bottom of the page, hold down the shift key and click on the last line.  That should highlight a full page of events.

File, Save, All Events, Format: Comma-Separated Values (CSV) then OK.  It should save the file to logfile.csv which should be on your desktop.  Close Process Monitor.  Zip up the logfile.csv (7-zip works well and is free: http://www.7-zip.org/) and attach it to a Reply.  (You can also rename it to logfile.txt and attach it but you probably have to go in to control panel, Folder options, View to unhide the extensions first)

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

RK,  

It seems there is no process showing up for Netflix......I ran ProcMon at least three times & got the same result. Attached is a screen capture of the part of the process list where I expected to see Netflix in alphabetical order. I also scrolled through the whole list in case it was called something different but nothing found that resembles Netflix!  

In answer to your earlier questions:

There is no DVD player fitted to this laptop, & I have not used the portable USB connect DVD player until long after I lost Netflix.

I spoke with Netflix Customer Service two days ago & they could not help other than to suggest to uninstall/install & reboot PC, etc.
I'm not downloading any films on this PC either.
My drive is apparently only 29GB. I have a newly bought ACER Aspire ES1-432, with a SSD.
Yesterday I took off all the added things on the laptop which really was just related to work & had been loaded by me before I arrived in Australia. That freed up about 4Gb.

I also wanted to mention that the times when I uninstalled & reinstalled Netflix it tells me, "You Own This Product".

Edited by OZDOUG, 30 January 2017 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

No Netflix Process.jpg

Screen capture of process list.........

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I downloade netflix on my win 10 and ran it with process explorer.

Apparently it's not a traditional program but an app.  Apps are run off the process named shost.exe

I filtered on shost.exe and then did edit find for netflix and the first thing it does is look at:

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8\PSR

so the netflix app is called 4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8 on my PC.  Don't know if it's the same on yours.

I did another filter

Path Contains netflix Include Add Apply and  that seems to filter on just netflix.

Looking at the last bit it looks like this:

Path Result Detail HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId SUCCESS Desired Access: Read HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId SUCCESS Query: Name HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId SUCCESS Index: 0, Name: Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Desired Access: Read HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 BUFFER OVERFLOW Query: Name, Length: 416 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Query: Name HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1\Vendor SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1\Icon SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 18, Data: icon.png HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1\DisplayName SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1\Description SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Query: HandleTags, HandleTags: 0x0 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS Desired Access: Read HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS KeySetInformationClass: KeySetHandleTagsInformation, Length: 0 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId SUCCESS Index: 1, Name: Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Desired Access: Read HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1 BUFFER OVERFLOW Query: Name, Length: 406 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Query: Name HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1\Vendor SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1\Icon SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 18, Data: icon.png HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1\DisplayName SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1\Description SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Query: HandleTags, HandleTags: 0x0 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS Desired Access: Read HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS KeySetInformationClass: KeySetHandleTagsInformation, Length: 0 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId SUCCESS Index: 2, Name: Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Desired Access: Read HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1 BUFFER OVERFLOW Query: Name, Length: 412 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Query: Name HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1\Vendor SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1\Icon SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 18, Data: icon.png HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1\DisplayName SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1\Description SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 2, Data: HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS Query: HandleTags, HandleTags: 0x0 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS Desired Access: Read HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS KeySetInformationClass: KeySetHandleTagsInformation, Length: 0 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId NO MORE ENTRIES Index: 3, Length: 288 HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1\CustomProperties SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.ContentPrefetcher.Internal.ContentPrefetcherTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.NetworkChangeTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId SUCCESS   HKCU\Software\Classes\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivatableClassId\Windows.Networking.BackgroundTransfer.Internal.BackgroundTransferTask.ClassId.1 SUCCESS        

Mine just brought up the app that looks like

I don't have an account so it didn't try to log in.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

I re-ran ProcMon & I filtered on sihost.exe (I found no shost.exe so figured it was a typo). Then did edit find for netflix & got a lot of info.

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8

** This differed slightly from yours after the sub-folder 'AppModel\'.  Is it possible the app is trying to run from the wrong location?........

Agreed it seems the Netflix app is called 4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8 on my machine also.

Attached File  Logfile.zip   1002.92KB   478 downloads

Edited by OZDOUG, 01 February 2017 - 12:57 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Sihost.exe is correct.  Sorry for the error.

I found a big difference between yours and mine.

C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Packages\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivationStore\ActivationStore.dat

is either missing or the permissions are off so that sihost can't read it.

Mine indicates that it read the file and that there are also two more files with the same name but with .LOG1 and .LOG2

See if you can take ownership of the file and give full control to each group they have listed.

Then look inside the folder and see if there are files and what their permissions are.

This is a hidden system file area so you probably need to tell windows to let you see it:

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

RK,

Located the file:

C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Local\Packages\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8\4DF9E0F8.Netflix_6.17.61.0_x64__mcm4njqhnhss8\ActivationStore\ActivationStore.dat

Also located the Log1 & Log2 data files under the same folder as above.

I checked permissions of all the folders & sub-folders & they all show full permissions as per the screen grabs attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• Activation Store Permissions-Administrators.jpg
  • Activation Store Permissions-Doug.jpg
  • Activation Store Permissions-System.jpg
  • Activation Store Permissions-Unknown-1.jpg
  • Activation Store Permissions-Unknown-2.jpg