Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cloud Storage

• Please log in to reply

golions24

golions24

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Good Morning,

Does anybody have any advice for me on cloud storage?

I am after a service that allows you to upload into remote storage, but will keep it there even if it is removed from my computer. I have had drop box for this past year and when a hard drive died it removed those items off the cloud and then didn't have access to the information that I wanted. I have document, music (my legal cd collection). some movies but the main items I'm wanting to preserve is my photos.

My other alternative is to keep buying bigger external hard drives which does become expensive.

(I have 2 x 6TB Lacie HDD now)

I'm pretty new to all this. Any advice would be welcome.

Regards

Randall

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

If it where me I'd go with external HDD no upkeep cost and if the internet goes down you have them still to hand. The only down side is if you want them every where you'll have to take them with you. I would also work out how much a hdd cost and how much it will cost long term to store your data.

But I would go for more HDD. If i back stuff up I always back up stuff I don't want to lose twice to on different hdds so if one fails you still have the data.

golions24

golions24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If it where me I'd go with external HDD no upkeep cost and if the internet goes down you have them still to hand. The only down side is if you want them every where you'll have to take them with you. I would also work out how much a hdd cost and how much it will cost long term to store your data.

But I would go for more HDD. If i back stuff up I always back up stuff I don't want to lose twice to on different hdds so if one fails you still have the data.

Thanks so much for your advice. We have started to use backblaze but it says that we need a year to back everything up haha