Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System powering itself off

- - - - -

Best Answer Rhaom , 02 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

My apologies things have been very busy for me recently, I am waiting for my friend to make a decision on if he is just going to upgrade to a new system or not so right now I dont know. If you need... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Rhaom

Rhaom

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hello,

I am trying to fix a problem with a friends system and have run into a wall! :bashhead:

The specs of his computer are as follows:

specs.png

So the problem is that his computer will just turn itself off at random points, sometimes it'll work for hours and sometimes only 20 minutes or so before it turns itself off.

Here is a list of things i've attempted already:

Completely removing and reinstalling the video driver (Just making sure there was no curruption between old versions).
    I had windows 10 do the "reset this pc" but keeping his files.
    Everything within the system has been reseated.
    His system temperatures are normal so there is no over heating problem.
    This morning I had him remove the cmos battery for 30 seconds to reset the system!

The thing that has me stumped is that it will even power itself off during post, before it even reaches windows, so to me that would suggest a hardware problem but if there is a problem with his RAM or Motherboard then surely it would not even work part of the time?

I dont want to lean towards the PSU itself because it is clearly powering the system just fine as after the computer turns itself off, he is able to instantly turn it back on, so there is clearly no lack of power to the system.

Any suggestions would be great!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Rhaom,

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the PSU + the brand of the GTX 970 card.

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Rhaom

Rhaom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

PSU: Corsair CX750M

GFX: EVGA GeForce GTX 970

Just to clarify, there are actually 5 Case fans, 1 GPU fan and 1 CPU Fan in this sytem not just a single fan, they are just powered directly from the PSU and not the motherboard.

I see that speedfan reads his core temp as being 61 right now (which is definately something I would be concerned by!), when I checked this last night it was not the case, it was only reading 40

Edit: Forgot to add the screenshot!

Attached Thumbnails

• temps.jpg

Edited by Rhaom, 28 January 2017 - 08:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The top part of HWMonitor is missing do it again for us but this time make sure that you scroll to the top of the page.

I see that speedfan reads his core temp as being 61 right now (which is definately something I would be concerned by!), when I checked this last night it was not the case, it was only reading 40

That is not the worst of it I`m afraid, 61°C is the temp of the CPU socket itself, look at HWMonitor and you will see the following Temperature Package readings, 60°C - 51°C and 66°C, these are the temps of the CPU cores themselves, the maximum safe operating temperature for the FX8350 is 61°C at which point the thermal sensor should trip and shutdown the computer to avoid the CPU being fried, check in the BIOS to make sure that the thermal shutdown temp has not been disabled or increased to such a high level that the CPU can fry.

Rhaom

Rhaom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Just as a point of reference I have added the "low temp" screenshot even though HWMonitor is not scrolled all the way to the top, as these two screenshots were taken no more than 5 minutes apart but look at the difference in temperature.

All that the system is being used for to browse the web.

Attached Thumbnails

• lowtemp.png
  • hightemp.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Only thing that I am seeing is that the vcore at max is too high, anything higher than 1.375V is overclocking the CPU.

check in the BIOS to make sure that the thermal shutdown temp has not been disabled or increased to such a high level that the CPU can fry.

Has this been done.

Can you tell us what cooler is being used with FX8350 and has it been checked to make sure that it is both sitting properly and secure.

NB: Note the high CPU activity level for a computer that is not under any load, any chance that your friend has OCd the CPU too far.

Rhaom

Rhaom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The CPU is not overclocked and the cooler is just a stock one.

I actually cannot find where within the BIOS the option for the shut down temperature is.

His motherboard is the AMD SABERTOOTH 990FX

Rhaom

Rhaom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Found it i think!

Attached Thumbnails

• cpu.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

That is but a part of it, download and read the manual which you can obtain from here the manual tells you how to set up the board to get the best cooling settings etc.

NB: Note the high CPU activity level for a computer that is not under any load, any chance that your friend has OCd the CPU too far.

Not talking about the present but in the past, the MB on auto will regulate the voltages but can do nothing to stop a manual overclock.

At least three of those fans that are connected to the PSU should be connected to the 4 pin fan headers on the MB, this allows the MB to better control the fans and makes things a whole lot more quiet, fans connected directly to the PSU unless there is an inline controller will run at 100% all of the time being noisy and shortening their life expectancy + what are they supposed to be cooling when the computer is not under any load.

Rhaom

Rhaom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

My problem is that I dont have direct access to his system for geographical reasons but yes I completely understand what you are saying in that the fans should be connected to the motherboard.

I think for the time being (since its pay day on wednesday), I'm going to look for a new case, better fans and a good water cooling system for him to get rid of the horrible stock fan that comes with the CPU and then we'll take it from there.

I appreciate your help :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Swapping out the CPU cooler makes sense but not sure on a new case, it must be a decent case if it houses so many cooling fans, using 4 pin adapters to connect the fans to the headers on the MB would be the way I would go.

None of the above will remedy hardware that has been OCd too far or reduce the voltage to the CPU when the computer is under load, both are possible causes of the shutdowns.

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Rhaom, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Rhaom

Rhaom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
✓  Best Answer

My apologies things have been very busy for me recently, I am waiting for my friend to make a decision on if he is just going to upgrade to a new system or not so right now I dont know. If you need to close the topic that is fine I will repost if needs be :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update Rhaom  :thumbsup:

The thread will stay open but the sad fact is that we get so many abandoned threads that I need to check that folk are still around when a thread goes quiet.