Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 suddenly without sound (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer hyperdayy , 16 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hello. Today I went to the repair shop to check on my laptop and the sound card is out of commission. Its not worth repairing it, the cost would be too high. The technician has already ordered... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Greetings everyone!

I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my laptop a few months ago. Everything was working fine until about a week ago when I stopped having sound on my USB speakers, only on the laptop speakers. And on the same day, the laptop speakers stopped working as well. Right now I have no sound output, even on my headphones. I tried updating the sound driver (both the high definition audio device and the IDT high definition audio CODEC, I did a system restore, I've reinstalled Windows 10 and I still have no sound on any device. The green bar on the right of the default sound device shows activity when a video or music is played. Needless to say that the sound is not muted. When I did a system restore I got back the sound until I restarted Windows and ended up having no sound again.

My laptop is a HP Probook 640.

Any ideas...?

Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello hyperdayy,

When I did a system restore I got back the sound until I restarted Windows and ended up having no sound again.

Try the same restore point to see if you get the audio back, if you do make a note of the latest updates that have been installed, restart the notebook and see if the sound has gone again, if it has, check what if any updates have been installed since the latest one on the list that you made earlier then get back to us.

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hello hyperdayy,

When I did a system restore I got back the sound until I restarted Windows and ended up having no sound again.

Try the same restore point to see if you get the audio back, if you do make a note of the latest updates that have been installed, restart the notebook and see if the sound has gone again, if it has, check what if any updates have been installed since the latest one on the list that you made earlier then get back to us.

Thank you for the quick reply. I've reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday but the problem still persists. I'm afraid it's going to be a little complicated for me to do another system restore and check the bad and good updates that might have caused the problem. Actually, there was no recent updates installed when the no sound issue first ocurred. 

Another thing I've tried also was to use Driver Toolkit and it showed a list of 12 drives that were out of date, one of them being the IDT high definition audio codec. But this drives is described as being up to date on Device Manager...

Driver.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

If you have done a clean install you cannot do a system restore, that data will have been erased in the process,

Any drivers that you need should be downloaded from HP, see my canned text below;

There are two versions of the the HP Probook 640 notebook, the G1 and the G2, which version do you have.

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and may also not resolve the issue.

Where possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

Programs like DriverToolkit are only after your money  :ranting:

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

If you have done a clean install you cannot do a system restore, that data will have been erased in the process,

Any drivers that you need should be downloaded from HP, see my canned text below;

There are two versions of the the HP Probook 640 notebook, the G1 and the G2, which version do you have.

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and may also not resolve the issue.

Where possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

Programs like DriverToolkit are only after your money  :ranting:

Yes, I've noticed it when I tried to download the missing/corrupt drivers. I will follow your advice and get the drivers from HP.

I'm note sure if it is the G1 or the G2 model...

I'll keep you posted. Thank you!

Edited by hyperdayy, 01 February 2017 - 02:30 PM.

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I've installed the HP Support Assistant and some offical uptades were also installed but I still have no sound on any device.

I have the G1 model.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

After a clean install of Windows the first drivers that should be installed are the chipset drivers, have you done this.

No Windows 10 audio drivers provided by HP, what if any version of audio drivers have been installed, if none, try the Windows 8.1 drivers from here

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

After a clean install of Windows the first drivers that should be installed are the chipset drivers, have you done this.

No Windows 10 audio drivers provided by HP, what if any version of audio drivers have been installed, if none, try the Windows 8.1 drivers from here

I've just installed the Windows 8.1 drivers and restarted the laptop. Still no sound. I think I'm going to take it to a repair shop. I do appreciate all of your help.

One thing I forgot to mention. Before having no sound the laptop speakers made some kind of white noise for 2-3 seconds when turning on the laptop. That happened twice. The day after that the sound went dead until now.

Edited by hyperdayy, 02 February 2017 - 10:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
One thing I forgot to mention. Before having no sound the laptop speakers made some kind of white noise for 2-3 seconds when turning on the laptop. That happened twice. The day after that the sound went dead until now.

Would have been helpful knowing this from the outset as we have been looking at a software as opposed to a hardware issue  :(

No audio from either the onboard or external speakers when not driver related would normally suggest audio chip failure.

Have you tried your USB speakers on another computer to make sure they are ok.

Have you checked what dxdiag says about the audio, if not sure how to do this, type dxdiag in the Windows 10 search field, when dxdiag comes up click on the Sound tab and grab a screenshot for us;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I'm sorry for not having referred the white noise issue in the first place.

I haven't tried the USB speakers on another PC yet, but I'll be able to do it tomorrow.

Here's the DirectX audio tab screen shot:

Attached Thumbnails

• DirectX.jpg

Edited by hyperdayy, 02 February 2017 - 01:34 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Can you answer the above for us, this is important because installing the chipset drivers first helps the other drivers install correctly.

Your audio chip info looks ok in the screenshot so its back to checking either drivers/settings or blown speakers.

Have you tried any other USB devices in the USB ports on your computer to make sure that the ports are ok.

Are your speakers set as the default audio device > Right-click on the sound icon at the bottom right corner in desktop and select Playback devices.

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Can you answer the above for us, this is important because installing the chipset drivers first helps the other drivers install correctly.

Your audio chip info looks ok in the screenshot so its back to checking either drivers/settings or blown speakers.

I don't how to set the chipset drivers to be installed first. I've reinstalled Windows 10 by choosing the "Reset this PC" option on "Recovery" menu.

Have you tried any other USB devices in the USB ports on your computer to make sure that the ports are ok.

Yes, I have just plugged my older pair of USB speakers and there is still no sound.

Are your speakers set as the default audio device > Right-click on the sound icon at the bottom right corner in desktop and select Playback devices.

Yes, they are. Here's a screenshot:

Attached Thumbnails

• Sound.jpg

Edited by hyperdayy, 02 February 2017 - 04:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I don't how to set the chipset drivers to be installed first. 

You do it manually, after reinstalling Windows you should have downloaded and installed the following two Windows 10 64-bit drivers;

Type: Driver - Chipset
Version: 11.0.0.1153 Rev.A(16 Jul 2015)
Operating System(s):
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
File name: sp71838.exe (94 MB)

Type: Driver - Chipset
Version: 10.1.1.9 Rev.A(20 Jul 2015)
Operating System(s):
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) | View all
File name: sp71864.exe (3.2 MB)

Yes, I have just plugged my older pair of USB speakers and there is still no sound.

Another set of USB speakers is no good for testing the USB ports, it needs to be something like a USB thumb drive, if a thumb drive is detected you know that the USB ports are ok.

For testing purposes, have you tried making the Communication Headphones option the default device.

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Another set of USB speakers is no good for testing the USB ports, it needs to be something like a USB thumb drive, if a thumb drive is detected you know that the USB ports are ok.

For testing purposes, have you tried making the Communication Headphones option the default device.

Any USB thumb drive works fine on any of the laptop USB ports.

I also tried to set the Communication Headphones as the default device but without any sound to be listened (but green bar shows activity).

Edited by hyperdayy, 04 February 2017 - 06:49 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

USB ports and Communication Headphones info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Can you run dxdiag again for us but this time click on the display tab and then grab the screenshot for us, wanting to check what is being used for your graphics, as in an AMD or Intel HD device.

NB: No need to quote every reply btw, it just makes for unnecessary reading and does not help as it is intended to.