Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 suddenly without sound (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer hyperdayy , 16 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hello. Today I went to the repair shop to check on my laptop and the sound card is out of commission. Its not worth repairing it, the cost would be too high. The technician has already ordered... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

There you go:

Attached Thumbnails

• DirectX_2.jpg

Edited by hyperdayy, 05 February 2017 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Your graphics are shown to be Intel HD 4600, does your computer also have a discreet AMD Radeon video chip.

Regardless of whether you have an AMD video chip as well can you try the following but only if you have installed the previous two lots of chipset drivers that were suggested;

Uninstall the present audio IDT drivers;

Then download and install the HD 4600 graphics drivers that are also used for audio;

The driver;

Type: Driver - Graphics
Version: 4483 Rev.F(14 Sep 2016)
Operating System(s):
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
File name: sp77559.exe (203 MB)

What it does;

This package provides the Intel video drivers, control panel and display audio driver for supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

Download here

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I've uninstalled the IDT drivers and installed the HD 4600 graphics drivers.

I still have no sound... but there's activity on green bar.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
does your computer also have a discreet AMD Radeon video chip.

Only other thing that I can think of is the computers volume control being broken or turned off.

Do you have a speaker icon on the taskbar, if yes, right-click the taskbar’s speaker icon and choose Open Volume Mixer from the pop-up menu, click on the Sounds tab, choose any random item on the list then press the Test tab to to see if you get any sound.

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I tried doing that but nothing happens, no sound. Normal activity on the green bar, though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Running out of suggestions i`m afraid  :(

See if you get any sounds after booting in Safe Mode only (no networking) steps below;

Press the Windows logo key  + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings.
Select Update & security > Recovery.
Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.

Test for any sounds at all.

Left click on the speaker icon on the taskbar, grab a screenshot then upload it for us please.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Sound just came out of nowhere...! I started chatting with my sister via Messenger and listened to the delivered message notification as I was typing! I played a video on Youtube and sound was OK. Is there a way to know what has changed on my laptop or Windows? Like some sort of report of software or hardware changes?

During the whole day I've only used the laptop to check my Facebook and to sign in at geekstogo. Nothing more.

Sound on the headphones also works fine! However the DTS audio settings don't work and the sound has almost no bass.

I did a restart and sound is still OK. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Sound_OK.jpg

Edited by hyperdayy, 07 February 2017 - 06:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
During the whole day I've only used the laptop to check my Facebook and to sign in at geekstogo. Nothing more.

You must have done something as when I post the following;

Do you have a speaker icon on the taskbar, if yes, right-click the taskbar’s speaker icon and choose Open Volume Mixer from the pop-up menu, click on the Sounds tab, choose any random item on the list then press the Test tab to to see if you get any sound.

You replied;

I tried doing that but nothing happens, no sound. Normal activity on the green bar, though.

The fact that you now have sound means one of two things, a setting or software has been changed or there is a bad speaker connection, if you look at the screenshot above and then the one in your reply #12 you will see that both show the exact same info but when posting reply #12 you had no sound yet in reply #22 with the same information showing you now have sound, this suggests to me that it is a hardware issue, based on the white noise that you previously mentioned a loose or damaged speaker connection are both possible causes.

Two suggestions, in case it is a loose or or damaged speaker connection or cable, avoid opening the notebook lid too wide and create a new restore point for the present settings now that you have audio back Create a system restore point

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Today, I turned on the laptop and sound was only coming from the internal speakers. I have no sound when connecting the USB speakers or the headphones. In both cases, sound keeps coming from the internal speakers.

I'm going to create a restore point.

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Just got back home and turned on the laptop. Sound is gone again...

I'm definitely going to take it for repairing.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You have give it your best shot and taking it in is for the best, notebooks are tricky to work with when it comes to any sort of dismantling so letting a tech have the worry is a wise decision.

Would appreciate it if you would let us know how it works out.

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I'll give you the outcome, that's the least I can do. I'll be taking the laptop for repair tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Thank you for all your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks hyperdayy and good luck  :thumbsup:

hyperdayy

hyperdayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Thank you! The technician will give me a call next Monday. He told me that whatever the issue was the internal sound card could be bypassed by plugging a USB external sound card for as little as €15 ( aprox. 16$) and connect my USB speakers to it. I didn't know the existence of such device for such a low price.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update hyperdayy  :thumbsup:

Never suggested the USB audio device approach right away in case the problem was with the USB ports and you ended up spending cash unnecessarily, €15 would be expensive to me as here in the UK they are only the equivalent of €3.51 for the 7.1 channel type, see example here