Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to remove one of the Windows OS?

removewindows7 dual-windows windows7remove

• Please log in to reply

Dave_83

Dave_83

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hi there,

Could I please get help in removing one of the Windows 7 OS, from an hard disk?

I have currently Windows 7 OS in one SSD hdd (C drive), which is being used all the time, and One more Windows 7 OS in another hdd (SATA hdd), which is in D drive.

Now when I turn on the PC I get to select either of one. The one in D drive, I had to back-up some files from My documents, which is done. Now this Windows 7 is not required, I would want to remove it and erase this drive, and free up this D drive.

Thanks for the support, appreciate it.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Search for

msconfig

hit Enter

Then click on the Boot tab

You should see both windows systems there.

Highlight the one you don't want then Delete.

OK.

That should make it stop looking for the windows on D. when it boots.

Then you can right click on Computer and select Manage then under Storage select Disk Management.  Find your D: drive in the lower part of the pane and right click on it and Delete Volume.There is probably another volume labeled System Reserve on the same disk that doesn't have a letter.  You can delete that one too.

Now it should have the whole drive as Unallocated.  Right click on it and New Simple Volume, Keep hitting Next until you get to Finish.