Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where is my CMOS Battery at?

• Please log in to reply

upsidedowngirl

upsidedowngirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help! A $4 CMOS battery is getting the better of me....

I was recently given an Alienware Area-51 (model 5620) laptop that formerly belonged to my brother-in-law, who passed away in January. The computer is approximately 2 ~ 3 yrs old and apparently, the CMOS battery is dead (we were told). Upon boot-up, we get continual "checksum" errors along with date and time errors. It continually puts the date back at January 1, 1988 (it wasn't that great of a year!)

Anyways, we are trying to replace the CMOS battery, which, from what I understand, is generic nickel-cad type battery (available at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc) and very inexpensive. Problem is, you have to disassemble the whole computer to get to it... We were told it would cost $80 + shipping charges to have it sent in somewhere (and they would not be responsible for damages if it were to.... say... break into a million pieces on the way there or back), so we just decided to do it ourself. I do know several computer "techie" types and they are helping me with the disassembly, etc.

According to various Alienware guru repairmen I talked to, the CMOS battery is located "on the motherboard." *maniacal laughter* Well, that makes it about as clear as mud since the motherboard is the entire circuit board inside. Sigh. So, we have no idea where it's located. We took the back apart and didn't see anything that remotely resembled a battery, aren't sure whether or not it could be under the keyboard....

Does anyone know exactly where this type of battery could be located? If anyone has had any experience with replacing this type of CMOS, please let me know. Apparently, the 5620 model is the only Alienware model made that requires technician help (go figure).

Thanks ~ any help would be greatly appreciate!
:tazz:

Edited by upsidedowngirl, 17 June 2005 - 12:07 PM.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

I do know several computer "techie" types and they are helping me with the disassembly, etc.

That could be your first mistake. Based on your question, you don't know any "techie" types that are qualified to do this relatively simple procedure so take it to a shop before your helpers "fix" it for good. Yes, the shell has to be opened (two pieces). Maybe a 10 minute job including time for a coffee break and a couple of donuts.

:tazz: