Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Data?

• Please log in to reply

auromak

auromak

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, so out of frustration at not beint able to load windows, i went against everything i knew and just reinstalled a fresh version over my current. So yeah, all my installed applications are now useless, drivers gone, etc... I'm not too worried about all that though, at least I can get my computer on now. My problem is, though, that i had a LOT of data on the desktop, under the my profile name. When i try to access it now (C:\Documents and Settings\Auromak\) i get an error that i am unable to access that folder. I can use a program like TreeSize Pro however, and confirm that yes, the information is all still there, all 50 gigs of it, but even from within that program i cannot copy it into an accessable folder. is there any way to get ahold of this data? its right in front of me, but i cant get to it! any help would be greatly appriciated!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Try this one I did earlier. This person Had a drive D if you dont then use C
If you have xp home then you have to install backup
Ok found the problem
does not autoload in xp home
this will show you how (easy)
XP Backup for home edition
of course you won't have the file name we used
NEXT OPTION
Go Start>programs>accessories>system tools>backup click on backup
this will start a wizard click on NEXT backup files and settings NEXT
check let me choose what to backup NEXT
this should give you a window with a list of desktop my computer etc.
click on the + sign next to my computer this should now expand and show you
the drives. Click on + next to drive C then + next to documents and settings
and work your way down to Ansar.Ansar30vwoybhl then click on the file
LuResult.txt this shoul put a little blue tick in the box click NEXT this should ask you
where to backup to you can either go to A: drive (If you have one) or just click on
BROWSE change to D: and put it on D: drive leave the filename as backup.bkf
click on save click on NEXT click on finish this should start the backup
(we only want to do 1 file to see if it works no use backing up everything if we still can't get to it.)

Ok we should now have a backup of the file.
Now to restore it to D: Drive
Start the backup program again This time we want to click on RESTORE files and settings NEXT click on the + sign next to file this should then show backup.bkf and the date you created the file. Click on the + sign and it should show C: put a tick in the box and click on NEXT this should show a box saying completing the backup restore wizard.
CLICK ON ADVANCED> click on the arrow restore file to. > alternate location click on
browse click on my computer click on D: then pick a folder where you know you can find it click Ok click NEXT NEXT NEXT Finish.
Then Find the file on D: drive Can you access it?
If you need more info or help let me know. If this works please let me know
It worked before for someone else.
ALSO
Just be CAREFUL If you backup the folder favourites and
restore it watch where you put it you don't want to overwrite your current favourites
folder, Unless of course you don't want the current favourites Remember this will replace current files on D: if you want it to.
so be careful where you restore.
you should now be able to access the files you need.
Please let me know how you go
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 17 June 2005 - 12:07 PM.

auromak

auromak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
[bleep] close, but no luck yet. I was optimistic, as when i restored the backup of my test file, the directory structure was intact; normally just browsing my computer, i cant get past c:\docs and settings\auromak. but when i backed up a test file from my old desktop, it restored it with the full F:\backup from old\Documents and Settings\Auromak\Desktop\Downloads directory structure, but i still got the "access is denied" error when trying to access the folder. any more ideas?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok try restoring just to f: with out the rest of the path
this is where this started read from page 5 incase I missed something. I will
re think in case I missed something This should work.
Same problem
Don't give up

auromak

auromak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
excellent! you rock man, thanks for the help! After reading your last reply, i tried again only this time restored to to just F:\, and also, i'm not sure if it had anything to do with it or not, but i unchecked the "preserve exciting security settings" as well, and sure enough, it worked! thanks a million, woulda gone crazy if i couldnt get this stuff back

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Anytime