Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issue with Nvidia GPU

• Please log in to reply

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
So I just downloaded a new game called Planet Coaster. Currently, I have an older laptop I am trying to run the game off of and I am having issues with the game crashing.

I have a Dell XPS L502x and here are the specs.

Windows 10 64 bit
Intel Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz
8GB RAM
DirectX 12
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Nvidia GeForce GT 540m

I understand that this is not the ideal setup for the game but I should be able to at least run it on low quality settings.

Anyway, I think there is something wrong when the game has to use the Nvidia GPU. In my Nvidia settings, I have it automatically select which GPU to use. It seems to run fine when it's using the integrated graphics but when it switches over to the Nvidia GPU, the game crashes almost immediately. 

I decided to test my theory and went back into the Nvidia settings and forced it to only run off the Nvidia GPU and it did not even get past the startup screen.

I know you guys are going to ask if I have to most updated drivers. I do. I am running version 378.49.

I just downloaded and installed it yesterday because the game wouldn't even install until I did that. 

So what kind of suggestions do you all have to get this fixed? I feel like the game should always be running with the dedicated graphics card considering the integrated graphics card is not that strong. 

Is there maybe a graphics card setting that could be interfering with the game running properly?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

I don't have an answer for your question, maybe someone else does... But I just wanna point put that it is not just "not the ideal setup for the game" but it is below the listed "Minimum" computer specification for the game, which is the nVidia GTX 560, a card that is much better than what you have.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I don't have an answer for your question, maybe someone else does... But I just wanna point put that it is not just "not the ideal setup for the game" but it is below the listed "Minimum" computer specification for the game, which is the nVidia GTX 560, a card that is much better than what you have.

Yeah I completely understand. I probably would have just thrown in the towel but what gives me hope that I can run the game is the fact that it does seem to run fine (albeit slow/laggy) when using the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics. It would only make sense to me that the Nvidia gpu would be better than the integrated ones.

EDIT: Just got a BSOD Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error. In case it matters, I just ran CCleaner and I have Avast Free Antivirus. 

Edited by corn4ahead, 06 February 2017 - 03:47 PM.