Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell conversion

• Please log in to reply

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Ok my situation is this:
I have a pretty decent DELL but I want to upgrade. I want to do all of this without messin with my processor. My question is if I change out my motherboard from the stock dell to a new ASUS will my stock processor still work or are they specially made just for the stock motherboard?

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
well dont try to put a new motherboard within the Dell case because their boards only fit in their cases. so you will need a new case. the processors are the same ones you buy from newegg, some retail store in the middle of no where. just make sure they match the specs of the motherboard and you should be fine.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
A model of the DELL can help us with recommendations as well for a new case and mobo :tazz:

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thanks for the info I'll get back to you about what model it is. I think it was one of the basic models.

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
On the back of your dell, there is a little sticker with letters and numbers on it. Post that.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Sorry it took so long I wasn't sure what numbers and letters you wanted but I know it was the ID number for Windows, or was it? Either way I copied down a few of the numbers that were on the sticker and here they are:
x08 7306
05d481
I hope this helps.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Maybe some of you can help me with this little question. I want to get a new monitor but I want a big one that can double as a TV. What would you recommend on getting in that regard? I was looking at an HDTV flat tube or would an LCD screen work better?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
LCD is cheaper anyway decent CRTs are gettin expensive as the market for them is really moving into the more hardcore group that want the uber high resolutions.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Yeah I was looking at getting the Dell 30' LCD TV and use it as a tv/monitor. You think that would be good as monitor?

alesh

alesh

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
If this is not a notebook you can change your motherboard "whicheverwayuwant".
If it's a notebook forget the idea. Notebooks are all "custom" made to fit the plastic case made for it.

A.

Cloud Striffe

Cloud Striffe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
So what you are saying is that I can change out my motherboard within the original DELL case?

alesh

alesh

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yep.

A.