Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help troubleshooting Linux system.

user permissions missing icons screen lock

• Please log in to reply

Linux Loser

Linux Loser

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello.

I am running Bodhi Linux 32-bit on a Dell Dimension 9150, 3.00Ghz

I am having two issues.

1) I killed a process (The problem is that I don't even know what it was called.) that that is vital to the systems functioning and now the system locks up, partially that is. If I am viewing a video, for example the screen blanks out for a second and the player disappears to the panel, it still continues to play and can click on it in the panel and it maximizes again. But the Bodhi desktop menu freezes and can not be opened. In Firefox I can open a bunch of tabs,and close them without issue, but the first window that was opened often freezes.

When it freezes I do Ctrl +Alt +F1 then Ctrl + Alt + Del to shut down.

Some of the icons are missing from the panels/menus.

The solution is to troubleshoot and find what exactly I killed and reactivate it.

2) There is a possible installation issue. I have install Linux several times without incident, but this time there are issues with un-mounting USB devices and hard drives. I get the message that I am not authorized.

I wanted to Install LXLE, because I like it better than Bodhi and this is some of what I get:

7.532280 usb 1-8 unable to read config index
no caching mode page found
/init : line 3: can't open /dev/sr0: no medium found
10.476029 blk_update request: I/0 error, dev fd0 sector 0
unmount: can't unmount /cdrom: device or resource busy
stdin: not a typewriter

adduser: The user ‘qwerty’ already exists.
In: /root/user/sbin/anacron: File exists
In: /root/lib/systemd/system/cdrom.mount: FIle exists
Using cd-rom mount point /cdrom/

I have read that this can occur when the USB installation medium gets removed too soon.

If I have to reinstall I will, I just want this fixed. It is super annoying, with the screen blanking and and locking when I am trying to to study/research.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Rikai

Rikai

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

If you have killed the process and restarted the machine, chances are that process either restarted without issue or it had some type of corruption in the configuration files, it all depends on how you killed the process originally.

You can try the fsck command to verify your system integrity. One of the good things about Bodhi is that it is based on Ubuntu.

If you do not have any files you need to back up (or you have files that are easy to backup), I suggest a fresh install of Ubuntu LXLE. You can grab the ISO at LXLE's site