Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word Doc, can't change font colour

• Please log in to reply

Chel1952

Chel1952

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, I'm trying to highlight certain words in red in a word document but it wont change.

It stays black on screen and after I highlight and change to red it still stays as black.

If I email the document to myself sometimes it shows the words highlighted in red and sometimes not.

Does anyone know how to fix this please ?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Which printer do you have as the default?  Word likes to make it look like it will look when printed so it's important that the default printer be able to do color.  

Chel1952

Chel1952

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP and yes it does do colour.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I would go in and change the default printer to something else then change it back.  Perhaps that will let it start working.

Another option is to remove (or rename) the normal.dot and normal.dotm templates

These are usually located in:

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

where [User Name] is the name with which you log onto Windows.

If you do not see the AppData folder, in Windows Explorer, click on the Organize drop down and then on Folder and search options and in the Folder Options dialog, go to the View tab and select the item "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".  While there, it is a good idea to uncheck the box of "Hide extensions for known file types".

These will be recreated the next time you start Word.  That usually fixes most Word problems.

Dazy Parker

Dazy Parker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, I'm trying to highlight certain words in red in a word document but it wont change.

It stays black on screen and after I highlight and change to red it still stays as black.

If I email the document to myself sometimes it shows the words highlighted in red and sometimes not.

Does anyone know how to fix this please ?

Repair MS Office from control panel. If you can't fix it by repairing then re-install it.