Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer hardware issues.. (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 20 February 2017 - 05:47 AM

Depends on the quality of UPS that you purchase and what you are hoping to protect with any surge protector as in the PC or the UPS itself, the two example UPS that I post links to have "Automatic... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Raju Pal

Raju Pal

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Everytime the power cuts of my house, my computer shuts down immediately without any warning and then it is turning on automatically. I have changed and upgraded my UPS and SMPS thinking that there were the problem... but its not. The problem is still there! Now where is the issue?? Is it the hard disk or the motherboard??
My pc configuration:
Amd 6300 6 core processor
Gigabyte ga78 motherboard
4 gb ddr3 kingston hyperx RAM
1 tb hard disk
Cooler master 500w PSU
Cyber power 600 va UPS

Edited by Raju Pal, 11 February 2017 - 03:56 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:welcome:   Raju Pal,

Strange behaviour because as you know the idea of a UPS is to keep continuous power to the PC in the event of a power cut and what you describe suggests that there is a delay in the UPS activating.

Does your UPS have customizable shutdown commands, you should find this info in your user manual.

Raju Pal

Raju Pal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It is said in the manual that the UPS will notify me if the power overloads... but it doesn't shows up any behaviour like that...I replaced the older UPS thinking that the older UPS was faulty, but even with the new one things haven't changed a bit. It has to shut down or reboot every time power cuts no matter my UPS is fully charged or not.!!

Edited by Raju Pal, 11 February 2017 - 07:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

It does suggest that the computer is not getting the required stable voltage from the UPS when the mains go off.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the UPS + what version of Windows you are running, it is not likely to be Windows related but you may want to check your power plan in any event.

Raju Pal

Raju Pal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am using windows 7 ultimate service pack 1 and my ups model is cyber power BU600E 600Va..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

The  Cyber Power BU600E 600Va is best suited for small appliances but should be enough as long as you do not have a power hungry add on video card which the specs in your OP show that you don`t, fwiw, some terrible reviews for the Cyber Power BU600E-IN here and here a couple of references to it only putting out 160V.

Two possibilities come to mind, something is depriving the computer of power when the mains go off and the UPS is either inadequate or faulty, can you post the brand and model name or number of the previous UPS, tell us what devices you have been connecting to both while the issue has been occurring and what the LED indicators show when the mains power goes out. 

Raju Pal

Raju Pal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
As I said earlier, no warning-no led indicator is flashing when this happens...19" dell monitor,a 2.1 creative speaker and my cpu is connected to the UPS..,Nothing else.. sometime ago I detached the speaker from it.. but it didn't help at all.. and my earlier ups was zebronics u725..this issue is there from the very first day of buying my computer system..!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

You list your PSU as a Cooler master 500w, can you post the exact model as there are many, we could also do with the previous PSU brand and model name or number so we can do some research, atm I suspect that your UPS and PSUs have not been compatible, will know more once we have the exact PSU details for both power supplies.

Raju Pal

Raju Pal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Recently I bought the Cooler Master B500 v.2 500w PSU...The older one was an ordinary PSU that comes with the cabinet. The older PSU can be ignored as it was cheap, less powerful and was not compatible with the power hungry components.! The shopkeeper suggested me to take that cooler master and the cyper power ups as I was suffering from the very beginning..

Edited by Raju Pal, 11 February 2017 - 08:29 PM.

Raju Pal

Raju Pal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Today I was using bit torrent and surfing using opera.. and suddenly power cuts..but nothing happens.. this also happens a several times earlier.. I've noticed that when I play games and power goes off,only then it reboots excessively..!! Maybe this should help you to solve my problem..

Edited by Raju Pal, 11 February 2017 - 09:49 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Today I was using bit torrent and surfing using opera.. and suddenly power cuts..but nothing happens.. this also happens a several times earlier.. I've noticed that when I play games and power goes off,only then it reboots excessively..!! Maybe this should help you to solve my problem..

This suggests that your UPS is inadequate, it can cope when the computer is not under any load but can`t cope when the computer is.

As mentioned in my reply #6 the Cyber Power BU600E 600Va is best suited for small appliances  (BU = budget) and you should really have a UPS that is PFC compatible like your PSU, basic example here

Don`t wish to get too technical or waffle on so in laymans terms the cheaper the UPS the weaker, dirtier and more unstable the power from the back up battery.

Raju Pal

Raju Pal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So its clear that the problem is in the CPU.
One more thing, do you slightly feel that my home electricity is problematic.? Or there is no problem with the electric supply??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
So its clear that the problem is in the CPU.**

No the UPS is not good enough, please read again my reply #11;

This suggests that your UPS is inadequate, it can cope when the computer is not under any load but can`t cope when the computer is.

As mentioned in my reply #6 the Cyber Power BU600E 600Va is best suited for small appliances  (BU = budget) and you should really have a UPS that is PFC compatible like your PSU, basic example here

Don`t wish to get too technical or waffle on so in laymans terms the cheaper the UPS the weaker, dirtier and more unstable the power from the back up battery.

One more thing, do you slightly feel that my home electricity is problematic.? Or there is no problem with the electric supply?? 

Only a qualified electrician who can inspect the property can tell you that.

** JAFYI: CPU = Central Processing Unit or processor such as an AMD Phenom or Intel i5 for short and does not refer to the actual computer itself. 

Raju Pal

Raju Pal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No,I'm just saying that is it possible that this particular problem is occurring for my home's electric supply problem.! Anyway what you said is my ups is not faulty, but it is not appropriate for my system. So can you suggest me some good budget ups that could be compatible for this pc.?? I saw you refer a ups earlier. It will be nice if you refer some more.!

Edited by Raju Pal, 12 February 2017 - 09:36 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

As already said above, I cannot give an opinion on the electrical supply at your property.

Based on what you have told us, your PC only shuts down if you have the computer under load when the mains electric goes off, this points towards the UPS.

Before doing anything else I would suggest that you stress test your computer using OCCT Perestroïka (free) if the computer does not shut down when running this it would suggest that your computer hardware is ok and would strengthen the chances of a poor quality UPS being the cause of your troubles.

OCCT Perestroïka (free) download here