Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Password Username: 'Guess'

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Geeks,

I have a tiny little problem with setting up a network to share files between my Windows 7 desktop and my Windows 10 notebook.

It is more of an annoyance than a problem really, as everything works okay in the end. It is just that when I try to access the notebook files from the desktop, I at first get asked to enter a Network Password and at the same time am told 'Login failure: Unknown user name or bad password'. I learned from Googling the problem that I can get around this simply by typing ' guess' in the 'User Name' box. I was honestly not expecting this to work, but it did and if I do that I can access everything on the notebook just as I want to.

Any ideas how to stop the 'Enter Network Password' box coming up in the first place, please?

Chris.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Not sure how you are accessing the files.

If you share the files on the win 10

http://www.geeksquad...g-on-windows-10

then map a network drive from the 7 it should only ask you for a login/password when you set it up.  The network drive will get assigned a letter like any other drive and you can access the files that way.

http://www.dummies.c...r-in-windows-7/

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

As far as I can tell, everything is set up okay on both the desktop and the laptop, and each one shows both computers under 'Network' .

I did the 'map a network drive' thing on the desktop as suggested by you, but clicking on the drive created still results in the Windows Security box coming up and requesting a Network Password.

I have read that this issue can be do do with information stored in the Windows Credential folder, but I looked there and don't know what to alter. Do you think it could be to do with the fact that the laptop is not set up to use a password to log on?

Btw, I discovered that the 'guess' thing is a bit of a red herring: I can type any random word I choose into the box and it will then give me access to the files on the notebook! Very strange indeed!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Not having a password on the laptop is probably the problem.  Windows likes passwords.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

It wasn't the password causing problems, as the box still comes up even with the password set up.

I changed the information in the Credentials Manager by deleting the details for the notebook and then adding them again; this worked temporarily after the first reboot, but after that the box just started appearing again!

The annoying thing is that the box doesn't seem to have any real function, as I can bypass it just by typing any letter - or combination of letters - into it. As long as I type something, it is happy!

Maybe I will just have to put up with it popping up to say hello! :D

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I just tried what you are doing. On my Windows 7 I clicked on the Folder icon on my task bar to open Windows Explorer.  Scrolled down to Network at the bottom.  Clicked on the arrow to open it.  Found my Windows 10 computer listed and clicked on it.  In the right pane it said User (share).  Double clicked on it and it opened up.  Clicked on my User name and everything is available.

I wonder if it's because both computers are in the Home Group.  Open up Control panel and click on HomeGroup.  Are all of the boxes checked?  Click on View or Print the HomeGroup password.  Note the password.  Now go to your Win 10 box and repeat.  Make sure the passwords are the same.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I just tried what you are doing. On my Windows 7 I clicked on the Folder icon on my task bar to open Windows Explorer.  Scrolled down to Network at the bottom.  Clicked on the arrow to open it.  Found my Windows 10 computer listed and clicked on it.  In the right pane it said User (share).  Double clicked on it and it opened up.  Clicked on my User name and everything is available.

Everything is pretty much as you say, apart from the fact that when I click on the entry for the Windows 10 computer, the box comes up.

I wonder if it's because both computers are in the Home Group.  Open up Control panel and click on HomeGroup.  Are all of the boxes checked?  Click on View or Print the HomeGroup password.  Note the password.  Now go to your Win 10 box and repeat.  Make sure the passwords are the same.

Yes, the passwords are the same. I checked that before, but just checked again and they are the same.

Below is a screenshot of the Advanced Sharing Options for the Windows 10 laptop. Please can you tell me if everything is correct there?

homegroup.jpg

The thing that I find strangest of all is that once I have accessed the Windows 10 files by typing a random letter in the box, I can then restart the Windows 7 computer once and am then still able to access them without the box coming up. If I restart a second time and try to access them, the box comes up again. Why on earth would that happen? Most strange!

A silly question I'm sure, but the files I want to share between computers are on my second hard drive which at the moment still has my Windows XP clone on it (though it is on a separate partition). I don't see why that would affect anything though!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
A silly question I'm sure, but the files I want to share between computers are on my second hard drive which at the moment still has my Windows XP clone on it (though it is on a separate partition). I don't see why that would affect anything though!

Actually that makes a big difference and may be the problem.

Open file explorer on Windows 10  (click on the Folder icon on the tool bar)

find your second hard drive and open it and verify that you can get to the files you want to see.   Usually when a drive is added like that from another Windows the permissions do not allow you to see it until you go in and tell Windows you want to see it then it takes a while to setup the permissions.  Once you are sure that you can see it then:

Right click on the second hard drive and select Share With Advanced Sharing.  

Then on Advanced Sharing

then on Permissions.

Make sure you have Full Control checked.  OK.

Your Advanced File Sharing picture looks like mine.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks very much for your reply and for all the screenshots..

When I set up the network, I found that for some reason I was not able to share the whole drive (which is drive E) on the Windows 7 desktop with the Windows 10 notebook. I just could not make it work! So instead, I shared the 3 files I wanted: Documents, Music and Pictures. For those 3 files, I did everything that you have detailed in the screenshots which you provided - going into permissions etc - and got it all to work perfectly for them. I have also shared the same 3 files on the Windows 10 notebook with the other computer.

Today I tried again to share the whole drive and managed to do it by somehow adding 'everyone' to the list of users (it was not there before). It worked and I was able to share it, but doing this made no difference to the box coming up.

Just to reiterate..... I can get into all the files I want on both computers: I am able to edit them and swap them from one computer to the other. The only problem is with this pesky box coming up!

I still think the problem may possibly be related to the Credentials Manager. I deleted the existing details and added the username etc which I use on the notebook, ie my Microsoft account user and password. Credentials Manager does not however seem to retain this information, changing the username to the name of the Windows 10 notebook computer, plus '\HomeGroupUser$'.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

You might be able to find out exactly what is going on with Process Monitor:

(This is a direct download and the page won't change)

Save it to your desktop.  Right click on it and Run As Admin.

Try your sharing.  As soon as you get your box, tell ProcessMonitor to stop monitoring:

File, then uncheck Capture Events.  Once it stops

scroll down to the bottom and start looking up for where it brings up the box.  If you think it's credential manager you can look for it in the Process column or set a filter:

Click on Filter, change the first box to Process Name, second box stays at IS thirdbox changes to  Cmdkey.exe fourth box stays at Include.  Hit Add then OK.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Okay. I ran Process Explorer as suggested. Couldn't find anything for Credential Manager.

Tbh, not a lot of the info in there meant a lot to me..... but here are a couple of screen shots just in case you manage to find anything in them that seems significent to you.

In both screenshots, I searched for the name of the Windows 10 computer and the event relating to it is highlighted in blue at the very top of the page. The first one is when the box came up and I didn't do anything with it. The second one is when I gained access by typing in a random letter.

process01.jpg

process02.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK.  I played with it a bit.  Appear to be two processes involved.  Explorer.exe and Lsass.exe.  If you filter on them it makes it a bit easier to see what is going on.  First explorer starts looking at NetworkNeighborhood then lsass pops up and does its thing to check for permissions then explorer takes over again.  I expect the popup window is being called because lsass is not happy so I would look there for a problem.

If you can read a C.S.V file you can download the attached zip file and unzip it then follow along and compare it to yours.  This is from my Win 7 and we are talking to a win 10 called TVGUY.  (Excel or the free Open Office, Calc - make sure you check Comma as the separator and uncheck all of the other possible separators.  Once it's open,you will have to play with the column widths to make it easier to follow.)   We are looking for a Result that is different from what I got for the step.  

Instead of screenshots highlight the area you are interested in then File, Save, Highlighted Event, Comma Separated Values, OK.  You will need to either zip it up or change the .csv to .txt so that the forum will allow it as an attachment.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

I really struggled with understanding what you wanted here, so apologies if I have got it all wrong!

I downloaded your file okay and opened it in Excel. Am not really sure how to compare it with mine, or what to look for. It is all very much like a very strange foreign language to me! :(

I am (hopefully) attaching a zipped file of the Lsass events on my computer.

Attached File  Logfile02.zip   26.21KB   197 downloads

PS Just relised that in my struggle to understand everything, I might have posted a log file from when it actually let me in. It rather unexpectedly let me in and I didn't even notice what had happened until now. Will investigate and maybe post another log later.

Edited by Channeal, 18 February 2017 - 12:08 PM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Okay. Not quite sure what happened before, but guess I must have clicked on the box by accident and opened it without realising!

Here's my second attempt: -

Attached File  Logfile03 - Copy1.zip   21.57KB   212 downloads

NB This post was edited to include a clearer copy, so that all the text is readable

Attached Files

Edited by Channeal, 18 February 2017 - 12:51 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I'm pretty tired from being outside all day but it appears that your PC may think it's part of a domain.  Search for

services.msc

hit Enter

This should open the Services window.

Scroll down.  Do you see 

Netlogon service?  Is it started?  If you are not part of a domain it should not be started.  Right click on it and change Startup Type: to Manual.  Apply.  Stop the service.

Also right at the start it creates a file:

\\NEAL2-SONYVAIO*\MAILSLOT\NET\NETLOGON

then when it tries to write the file it gets:  BAD NETWORK PATH

This may be part of the netlogon service trying to run.